Chapter 7 - In Which They Meet Mrs. Corsetta Pinot

"Mrs. Pinot??" Charlie asked in dismay, stopping short of the house's walkway of which Harriet had led them to. "If I knew we was comin' here, I woulda stayed home!"

"That's exactly why I didn't say anythin'," Harriet sniffed. "Besides, Mittie and Trace asked nicely. Mrs. Pinot doesn't let just anyone into her house. We're just making it easier for you two," she explained as Charlie huffed. "The plan is that you, Trace, is our visiting cousin, and Mittie's a friend who decided to join you, ok?"

"Right," Tracey and Mittie said together with a serious nod.

"Alright," Harriet said. "Here goes nothin'." She closed her eyes, nodded, and then quickly turned the door gear's handle. The little handle next to the door started a chain of gears and created a clacking noise, soon producing little puffs of steam and ending in a tinny 'ding'.

"Ooh, that's a fancy doorbell if I'va eva seen one!" Mittie said, watching the mechanism with great interest.

"Most people 'round have these kidna' bells," Charlie explained.

They waited.

Then, the door unlocked with an alarming amount of aggression and swung open. There stood a woman of tall stature, looking down at the entire group. Her dark hair was pulled tight into a severe bun. Around her throat sat some sort of gear brooch. Her sleeves came out in billowing puffs, cuffing close to her wrists, and her dress dramatically flooded the floor around her. Her sharp eyes, not to be forgotten, darted between Harriet, then Charlie, then Mittie, and finally Tracey. "Harriet," she said, her voice surprisingly gentle. "Who are these? Why are you here?"

 "Who are these? Why are you here?"

"Mrs. Pinot, ma'am! At your service," Harriet replied with a tip of her head. "We're checkin' round on our customers for follow-ups. Do you mind if Charlie an' I have a look at your chimney?"

"For you two, of course!" Mrs. Pinot replied. "However, for these two—."

"I'm Harriet's cousin, visiting from..." Tracey's mind raced. She hardly knew anywhere outside of Mondon, let alone her own sector and its neighboring ones.

"From?" Mrs. Pinot prodded, her eyebrows raising.

"Strattengear," Mittie interjected. "Sorry 'bout Tracey, she can get nervous 'round new people. I'm her friend and had wanted to meet her cousins—she speaks 'bout them so much, y' know!"

Tracey squinted at Mittie before continuing. "Yes, and Harriet said she'd like for us to meet her best clients. Which included you."

"Isn't that sweet," said Mrs. Pinot rather flatly, before turning her attention back to Harriet. "Why did you not just say so, dear?" she said, noticeably warmer, looking down at the girl. "Come in, all of you. Charlie, you can leave your broom by the door."

The group gathered into the large foyer, their eyes darting around from the tall ceilings to the grand chandelier, to the iron staircase, and the glistening floors—so shiny, one could see their own reflection in it. "Alright, what are you really here for?" Mrs. Pinot asked, spinning around from closing the door with a dainty hand on her hip. "Harriet, I know you and Charlie have no family other than each other, and...ah...Tracey, is it?"