Chapter 19 - In Which a Brief Chase Ensues

“And here we are,” Louise nonchalantly said as the three approached a dead-end.

“Where?” Tracey slowly said, looking around. Besides the long, twisting halls that stretched behind them, there was nothing but the three walls ahead of them—bland, gray, and decidedly solid.

“The Mirrored Funhouse,” she stated in a matter-of-fact tone.

Tracey and Mittie stared at the walls and ceiling surrounding them.

“…I believe that we’ve walked ourselves into a trap, Tracey,” Mittie evenly said, darting a glance towards her.

“I believe so, too…” Tracey responded, taking a few cautious steps back.

“What, trap?” Louise said, confusion casting over her face. “That’s a first. Sure, we may or may not be a…front….” she said with a roll of her eyes and a gesture air quotes, “but we certainly don’t trap our guests.”

The three stood in uncomfortable silence.

“Then why are we here,” Tracey finally said.

“To go to The Mirrored Funhouse, of course!” Louise responded, shrugging her shoulders. She then turned around and pushed at the wall in front of her, slowly revealing a space hidden behind. “I was just testin’ ya, ya know. Usually show’s people’s true colors when you postpone what they’re expecting.”

“Right…” Tracey replied with an uncertain glance towards Mittie. Mittie shrugged.

“Welcome to The Mirrored Funhouse,” Louise said. “Or as I’m sure you’re more familiar with: The Marketplace.”

Louise stepped aside to reveal a sprawling room, its farthest corners seemingly disappearing into oblivion. Surprisingly the space was well lit with what seemed to be steam-powered lights (albeit there was a suspicious lacking of steam in the area). In the center were booths and makeshift tents bustling with people bartering and selling. Although not crowded, the place was still busier than Tracey had hoped for. “Do you need help with where to go?” Louise asked.

“If you could just point us towards the combustible paper seller, that’d be great,” Mittie said.

“Huh,” Louise said, a small frown forming on her face. “If you go down this way,” she said, pointing to an isle, “you’ll end up straight at it. Can’t miss it. Big black tent.”

“Thank you,” Tracey and Mittie replied.

“Ah, you’ll have to excuse me,” Louise said with a nod, “Must get back to the shop, can’t keep those hungry customers waiting!”

“Right,” Mittie said with a bright smile (although Tracey noticed it seemed rather strained). Louise turned back and closed the wall behind herself, leaving the two in the cavernous Marketplace.

“Wait,” Tracey gasped. “How are we supposed to leave?”

“I’m sure we’ll figure it out,” Mittie replied with a shrug. “C’mon, Trace, let’s go!”

It was not soon after the two began their journey into the space before Mittie became distracted by the booths. “Hallo, madam!” Hissed a vendor from his booth. “Would you care to test our newest steam technology?” He held up a strange-looking object. “With this tool,” he said, “You can speak to anyone, from anywhere!”

Mittie paused, with Tracey closely following behind. Tracey squinted at the object. “What is that?” Mittie said, peering closer at the object.

“This is an inter-latitudinal confabulator!” he replied, raising his head as if to give a dramatic effect.