The Affair {4}

“Mom, do you have the pizza?” Luka asked as we walked into his house.

                “Right here Luka. Why?” his mom, Tammy, asked curiously, holding a box of pizza out to Luka.

                “Connor got dizzy,” Luka said, frowning deeply and taking the pizza from his mom. He set it on the kitchen table and yanked me over to it, pointing at it. “Now eat mister!”

                “Connor are you okay?” Tammy asked, getting plates and napkins for us.

                I rolled my eyes and nodded, sitting down and grabbing a piece of pizza. “I’m perfectly fine Tammy. You know that your son overreacts.”

                Luka pouted as Tammy laughed and nodded. Luka turned his head away from me stubbornly.

                “Aw, Connor’s getting the silent treatment,” Felix said, laughing along with Blake and Tammy.

                “Luka, don’t do that,” I said, reaching out and grabbing his hand.

                He pulled his hand out of my grip and crossed his arms. “Do you guys hear something?” he asked, smirking. “Because I don’t.”

                “Luka!” I whined.

                Luka shifted so that he was next to Blake. He grinned and wrapped an arm around Blake’s waist. Blake chuckled and slung an arm around Luka’s shoulders.

                “Hey Blake, since Connor isn’t here, wanna have some fun?” he asked with a wink.

                Blake started laughing at the irony of what Luka had just said. I opened my mouth to whine to Luka again, but then my heart started to race yet again.

                I slapped my hand over my chest, wincing. My head started to throb, and I set the piece of pizza I was holding down, my hand trembling too badly to hold it.

                “Connor!” Luka cried in concern. All joking had left his eyes and he hurried next to me, placing a hand on my shoulder. “Are you okay?!”

                Everyone was staring at me, and my hand began to tremble even more. I squeezed my eyes shut, rubbing my temples to try to get the pain in my head to go away. I took a few deep breaths and slowly nodded at Luka.

                I opened my eyes and nodded again. “I’m fine Luka. I just have a headache,” I said.

                “Connor, you look awfully pale. Why don’t you go lie down for a little?” Tammy said, coming over and placing her hand against my forehead. “I hope you’re not getting sick. You don’t feel warm, but you never know.”

                “I’m not getting sick,” I said, forcing a smile. “I’m fine. Honestly I am you guys. Let’s go outside. I just need some fresh air.” I stood up and offered Luka a reassuring look. “I. Am. Fine.” I leaned down and gently kissed him.

                We all went outside and climbed onto Luka’s trampoline. We sat down on it and I pulled Luka into my lap, my headache slowly fading.

                “Connor, are you sure you’re okay?” Blake asked, frowning deeply.

                I nodded at him, wondering why this was happening to me all of a sudden. There was no way it could be guilt. But my heart racing…the headache…my hands trembling…