The Affair {9}

“It’s hard to think when losing someone only makes you want to scream!”

                I groaned and rolled over, slapping around until I had turned my alarm clock off. I got up and ran my hands through the hot mess I called my hair.

                Luka had gone home after a few hours last night. He had tried to convince me to come to his house, but I knew I needed to sleep at my own house for a few nights. I felt bad staying at Luka’s house all the time. I loved being with him, but I felt bad about eating his food and using his hot water to shower.

                I crawled out of bed and left my bedroom, going to the bathroom. I took a quick shower before getting dressed and ready for school.

                I sat down in my bedroom, realizing I had a few minutes before I had to leave. Might as well get myself some breakfast. After all, I had promised Luka I would try to eat better.

                I went out to the kitchen and dug through the drawers in search of food. My stomach growled and I rolled my eyes at it. I know stomach. I’m trying to find some food. Work with me.

                I sighed in annoyance, realizing I had forgotten to buy myself poptarts. Great, now I had nothing to eat for breakfast and nothing to bring for lunch.

                I stood in the middle of the kitchen, pouting at the drawers. I turned as I heard my mom stumbling into the kitchen.

                She looked like she was barely even awake, and yet she looked beautiful as always. My mom was one of those people who could look breathtakingly gorgeous even if she had just gone for a long swim in a dumpster.

                She rubbed her eyes as she moved to make herself a pot of coffee. I moved out of her way so that she wouldn’t run into me.

                I glanced at the clock and sighed, realizing I had to get going before I was late. I went into my bedroom and grabbed my bag and car keys before heading back out. I peeked into the kitchen one more time, watching my mom pour herself a bowl of cereal and sit down at the counter.

                I turned and left, getting into my car and taking off towards the school, my stomach still growling loudly. I parked the car when I got to school and walked up the hill to the school.

                After texting Luka, I went over and sat down on a bench by myself. I put my earphones in, listening to Mayday Parade and nodding my head along with the beat slightly.

                I let out a little yelp as something flung onto me, knocking me over. I crashed to the floor and looked up at Luka’s smiling face.

                “Hi Connor!” he shouted, pulling my earphones out.

                “Hi Luka,” I said, propping up on my elbows as he wrapped his arms around my neck and kissed me.

                “I missed you,” he said with a pout. “Breakfast wasn’t as fun without you.”

                At the mention of breakfast, my stomach growled. Luka gave me an accusing look. He stood up, offering me his hand and pulling me to my feet.

                “You didn’t eat this morning, did you?” he asked.

                I shook my head. “No. We didn’t have anything to eat,” I said with a shrug. I’d have to pick up some poptarts on my way home.