-5 || tulipa

A/N

Possibly one of my favourite chapters I've ever written, like ever, notwithstanding the fact that it is also my favourite chapter in this story. If you've read the early iteration of Forget Me Not on my profile, then you would've definitely seen something similar to this.

Lots and lots of cameos in this one. Hope you're ready.

x Noelle

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

– 5

t u l i p a

For worthiness.

(then: –5)

"HAVE YOU HEARD?" The rumours make their way over to her, even when she does her best to ignore them. She reaches for her earphones, only to pause when the person continues, excitement clear in their voice, "Dylan's breaking up with Flo right now."

Oh.

Her feet come to a halt. A group of freshmen hurries past her, chattering and giggling along the way. She bites her lip and hesitates. She is headed in that direction—it's the closest exit to the parking lot anyway, but does she really want to witness their breakup? She watches a few more students rush past her in the same direction as the freshmen.

Oh, screw it, she does.

She takes a deep breath and follows them. It's really just the most convenient way, she tells herself, as she turns the corner. Already, there's a babble of noise in the background, but above all is the sound of wretched sobs.

"—it was a mistake! A terrible, terrible mistake, but you have to believe me..."

As the person in front of her moves aside, she finally catches a glimpse of the scene that's making everyone watch with wide eyes and slack jaws. To say that Florence Aryton looks like a mess is an understatement. Tears and mascara stream down her face as she sobs openly, and when she drags a hand through her hair, she somehow manages to make it even more frazzled than before.

Dylan, on the other hand, is the epitome of calm in the face of a storm. He's standing in an almost defensive posture, with his arms folded across his chest. Every now and then, he glances over at the crowd, then back at Flo. It's clear that he's aware a crowd has gathered around them to watch, and seems utterly uncomfortable with the attention.

"I believe you." Dylan's voice is low, if a bit strangled. "It's just something that I can't let slide. Not when it's happened three times."

Emma blinks in surprise. Based on what Dylan's told her, she only knows that it happened once before. But three times? Briefly, she wonders how someone as intelligent and honest as him can put up with that. Then again, she reminds herself, you of all people should know how much a person can tolerate if they really want to.

The gasps and murmurs grow at Dylan's revelation, and she can understand perfectly why. It is a big deal that the football captain and head cheerleader are breaking up. They were the cliché; the star couple; each other's first loves; high school sweethearts—but now that illusion has been shattered.