-10 || bellis perennis

A/N

Alright, this is the penultimate chaprer of Forget Me Not. I know it's been a long ride, with fairly infrequent updates, so I just want to say a huge thank you for sticking with me on this journey. Hope you like this chapter!

x Noelle

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

- 1 0

b e l l i s   p e r e n n i s

For beginnings.

(then: -4)

“CONGRATULATIONS.”

At the sound of the unfamiliar voice, she quickly looks up. The boy who’s striding towards her is tall and lean, with sandy brown curls that remind her of summer. She recognizes him almost immediately. Barely an hour ago, he was up at the podium giving his speech at their graduation ceremony. He’d looked all neat and dapper then, with his hair slicked back and his tie in a perfect knot.

Now, though, his curls are falling into his eyes. Both his tie and jacket are gone, and his shirtsleeves rolled up to his elbows. She starts to look over her shoulder—he’s probably talking to someone else behind her anyway, but he comes to a stop in front of her. His bright eyes are fixed on her face; a small, relaxed grin playing on his lips.

“You’re the valedictorian, right?” he asks. When she nods, his smile widens. “That’s impressive. I hear you got an even higher SAT score than I did.”

“Only because that’s all I’m focused on. I hear you’re really good at football too. That’s just as impressive.”

He laughs and rakes a hand through his hair. (later, she’ll come to realize it’s what he does whenever he’s self-conscious.) “Not really, I just think it’s fun. So where’re you headed, school-wise? I’m sure you have many offers.”

“Riverton, actually.” His eyebrows go up at that, and she hastens to explain, “I do have offers, but I have a boyfriend. He wants to go to Riverton, and I—well, I don’t really want to be away from him.”

He stares at her for a moment, and the corner of his lips lift a little. But it’s not quite a smile, he looks pleased by her words and also not, and she doesn’t quite understand it. (not yet. later, she will.)

“Your boyfriend’s really lucky to have someone as loyal as you,” he muses. “Look, I know my opinion isn’t worth much, but based on your grades alone, you have a lot of potential. So if life gives you opportunities to go places and become something, don’t let anyone tie you down, okay?”

She blinks. That is unexpected. She’s not too sure what to make of that, from someone who barely knows her at all, so she just shrugs. “Maybe he’s not tying me down,” she says lightly. “Maybe I’m stringing him along.”

He laughs at that and nods. “Alright, you have a point. It’s your decision anyway, and I respect that. Anyway, from last year’s valedictorian to this year’s—congratulations.” He hands her the bouquet of flowers that he’s been holding, along with a sealed white envelope. “That’s a gift card from us alumni.”

Yellow daisies. How strange that the first flowers she has ever received are from a boy who’s almost a total stranger, and for a completely non-romantic reason. “Thank you.”

“No problem.” He shoots her a grin and turns to go, but not before calling over his shoulder, “See you around school.”

(she will.

again and again and again.)