-4 || lilium

A/N

I'm right on schedule this time! Anyway, just a heads up that this is the third last chapter of Forget Me Not. I have a vague idea of what my next project is going to be, but I'll keep it under wraps for the time being. Just know that I'll still be on wattpad, as long as I have stories to tell!

Enjoy! x Noelle

ps: slight trigger warning for violence and abuse.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

- 4

l i l i u m

For innocence.

(then: -4)

"I CAN'T BELIEVE it's finally over."

She smiles at the obvious relief in Dylan's voice and adjusts the strap of her bag further up her shoulder. "I know, I was beginning to get tired of it."

He grins and nudges her. "Not of me, I hope."

It's a playful nudge, almost teasing. Her smile fades a little and she shakes her head. "No, just of the project. And a little bit of your voice during the presentation," she can't help but add.

"How dare you," he mutters, but there's no real malice in his voice. She feels him cast a sideway glance at her as he asks, "So, are you hungry? Want to grab supper together? I'll drive."

Her feet come to a halt. It's a very, very tempting offer. "No," she says quietly, "I don't think I can."

He stares at her for a moment, and it's that soft light of understanding in his eyes that cuts straight to her heart. "Right, I understand," he says, just as softly as she did. He runs a hand through his hair and offers her his usual sunny smile. "See you Monday."

"You too."

He heads down the empty hallway; his footsteps loud in the silence. It's way past evening, and the glow of the lights overhead cast long, lonely shadows across the hall. She watches until he disappears, before she turns on her heels.

She freezes.

"Keith?" His name escapes her lips in a quiet gasp. The tall figure comes out from within the shadows; his footsteps silent like a ghost. She didn't even hear him come up behind her. Instinctively, she falls a step back. "Wh-what're you doing here? I thought you were at a party."

He stares down at her; his eyes heavy and half-lidded. It's a look of indolence that he's mastered so well; a façade of nonchalance. But she's been with him for long enough to recognize the angry glint in his eyes; the corded muscles in his neck tense and jump.

"You should be so lucky," he says in a mild voice. "But I thought it best not to miss this...thing you two have going on."

"I told you, Dylan and I are lab partners. We've been working together on a project—"

"Bullfuckingshit," he hisses. "I've seen the way that asshole looks at you. Don't tell me you haven't noticed how he's always smiling at you, and watches you from halfway across the cafeteria when we're at lunch. There's even a rumour going around that he dumped Flo Aryton for you!"