twenty

july 10, 2020
...JAKE, POPE, AND MELODY spent the night playing games and watching stranger things. Melody woke up at around 10 and did her morning routine before going into the guest bed and waking up pope. "popesicle...wakey wakey time" she talked in a high-pitched voice. "yeah yeah" he mumbled and sat up, rubbed his eyes and went into the bathroom. Melody started making breakfast, eggs and hash browns. Jacob and pope came downstairs.
"morning" jacob grumbled and fell on the couch.

They ate breakfast and then pope had to leave and help his dad with something. The quinn siblings were sitting on the couch, melody was texting cassie and jacob was doing something on his phone. The front door opened and taylor walked in and stood infront of melody with a angry face. "you little whore, thinking its okay to hit your mother? well its not, and im sick of it!" she yelled and melody held in a random laugh. "what, you think its funny?" taylor tilted her head in confusion. "you think its okay to hit your children?" melody retorted and stood up, now face to face with taylor.

Melody could smell the alcohol reaking off of her.

"i think your a ungrateful slut."

"i think you abuse your kids because you like the power you think you have over them." that must have triggered a nerve or something cause taylor then wrapped her hands around melody's throat, choking her. "mom, mom stop!" jacob frantically tried to rip taylors hands away from his sister but taylors grip was strong. Melody's hands were wrapped around taylor's wrist, trying to rip them off. Melody's face went a mix of pale and blue and her vision was getting blurry. "please" mel begged with tears streaming down her face. Jacob grabbed one of the lamps from a side table and hit taylor's head.

Taylor fell to the ground and melody fell with her and gasped for air. Melody choked on her sobs and put her hand on her now hurt throat. Jacob got on his knees and held her as she sobbed. Mel fell into his lap and he stroked her hair. After a few minutes she calmed down. A knock on the door scared both of them and jacob looked at melody, then the door. Melody got up and drank some water from out of the sink. Her throat was sore and dry. "is she home?" she heard someone ask, she peeked her head out and saw sarah cameron at the door, holding one of mel's hoodies that she had left. "uh yeah, ill go get her" jacob replied, hesitantly considering that their unconscious mother was laying in the living room.

Melody pretended to walk out of the bathroom and put on a smile when she made eye contact with sarah.

"sarah! hi" melody greeted and sarah smiled.

"hey, you left this at my house and rafe found it, so i thought i'd bring it to you" sarah says and hands mel the hoodie.

"oh thank you" mel hangs the hoodie up on the coat rack.

"so..melody i was wondering if you wanted to hang out?" she asks and melody smiles.

"yeah id love that, how about tomorrow?" melody offers and sarah smiles.

"cool, ill text you" sarah nods and melody watches as sarah's eyes look at her throat.

Sarah waves and drives away. Melody shuts the door and takes a deep breath. Jacob had lifted taylor onto the couch instead of the floor.

Melody and jacob sat on the couch, both staring at taylor. "have you ever thought about leaving?" jacob asked and melody sighed.

"i think about it a lot, just me and you, never having to see her again" melody answers and he lays his head on her shoulder.