Brutal

The next week was brutal without seeing Monty. I mean, we were in class together, but they sat at the farthest seat from me and when a discussion was bought up, they wouldn't argue with me.

Like today, our topic, free college tuition, not a word from Monty. I don't even raise my hand before saying, "I don't agree with that," I'm watching Monty the whole time.

"Really?" Professor Stevens inquiries. "Why?"

"Because image homeless people going to your school?" I cringe, "yeah, no thanks."

Come on, Monty, fight me on it. Tell me I'm insensitive. Tell me reasons I'm wrong. But they don't speak on the matter, and some other student raises their hand, commenting on why they think we need free tuition.

Ugh.

After class, I drove the thirty minutes it takes to get to my best friend's house. And when I got there, I told him everything that happened between Monty and I.

"Preston, what the hell? Why would you do that?" Reid asked, looking disappointed at me. I was hoping he'd say that I did the right thing, but I guess not.

All the while, Alex, another friend of ours, shouts, "what is wrong with you, dude?!" He's currently on FaceTime on Reid's phone because he's in Massachusetts for college. He's been a little depressed since he moved away from from his boyfriend who's not his boyfriend, Kurtis (it's complicated, and yes, my whole friendship group is gay).

"Because-!" I shout back, but Grayson interrupts me.

"Because, you don't know how to not make stupid, impulsive decisions," he speaks in that stupid judgmental tone he always gives me. Yeah? Well, I fucked your boyfriend, Grayson.

"Fuck you," I bite back at him, "why are you even here?"

"This is my house!" Grayson yells, and then- in a very aggressive voice, he tells me, "Why not just break it off with Monty nicely or, gee, I don't know, help them study! instead of them thinking you cheated! From what I've heard from Reid, Monty makes you a better person, you two are good together, dumbass. Go fucking talk to him," he speaks angrily.

I purse my lips, then smile, "you think Monty and I are good together?"

Grayson rolls his eyes.

"Yes, Preston," Reid agrees, "so go talk to them. Tell them you weren't cheating and Monty's not a rebound for you."

"Yeah!" Alex shouts through the phone.

I stand up, determined, I look at Grayson, "thanks for that advice and fuck you."

"Fuck you too, now go apologize to Monty, dumbass."

"Was this a bonding moment?" Reid questions, practically with heart eyes beaming at us.

"No," Grayson and I say at the same time before I leave.

*

I spot him. Ethan, not Monty, unfortunately. He's studying in the study lounge at a round table with only two seats. "Ethan, I'm going to tell Monty the truth," I tell him, sitting down.

"As you should," Ethan says, not looking up from his notes.

"I texted them to meet me at my dorm to talk, but they read my message and didn't respond," I whine and pull his notes away, so he can focus on me.

Ethan sighs and puts down his pencil, "I'm sorry, Preston, but I would've done the same thing."

"Well, I don't date blondes, so you wouldn't even get the opportunity to leave me on read," I huff, crossing my arms.