Chapter One

It was the early hours of the morning when a young couple, separated by only a year, entered a small reception through imposing glass doors. Sunlight streamed in through the large windows, flooding the room with a radiant glow.

The couple's attention was immediately drawn to the youthful receptionist. She looked up from her computer and greeted them with a wide smile, revealing a set of dazzling white teeth. Her brown hair cascaded symmetrically down her gracefully curved neck, giving her a polished appearance that belied her age, which couldn't have been more than twenty-five.

"Welcome to Arrow on Spencer," the receptionist said, her smile widening as her deep, dark brown eyes squinted and crinkled.

Approaching the front counter, the couple noticed the meticulously arranged tourist brochures hanging to the left. The young woman absentmindedly perused the flyers, while her boyfriend leaned his arms on the edge of the counter, locking eyes with the receptionist.

"Do you have a reservation?" the receptionist inquired.

This marked their first time renting an apartment, and uncertainty tinged with nervousness coloured the boyfriend's response. "Um, yes. I believe it was booked under the name Samuel."

The receptionist glanced down at her computer screen, clicked a few times, and then looked back up.

"I'm sorry, but your room isn't quite ready yet. If you'd like, you can leave your luggage here behind the counter and return in about an hour," the receptionist announced in a clear, loud voice.

Samuel offered an awkward smile, picked up his lightly packed duffel bag, and handed it over to the receptionist. His girlfriend passed him her much heavier travel bag, indicating for him to hand it over the counter as well. "Thank you," Samuel muttered.

"See you both in an hour," the receptionist said with another grin.

As Samuel and his girlfriend exited the brightly illuminated reception area, the receptionist's smile quickly faded as her gaze returned to the computer screen.

They strolled along an unfamiliar path, taking in the sights of Melbourne. The city was significantly larger than Adelaide—five times larger, to be exact. Skyscrapers towered overhead, reaching four times the height of those in their hometown.

"We've got an hour to spare. Should we grab something to eat?" Samuel's girlfriend suggested.

"Yeah, I'm hungry. Any preferences?" Samuel pondered.

"I'm not sure. What are you in the mood for?"

"I was hoping you had something in mind. There's an outlet centre across the street. I suppose we'll just see what they have."

Samuel's gaze repeatedly shifted upward, captivated by the towering skyscrapers that dominated the skyline.

Lost in awe of the towering skyscrapers, Samuel and his girlfriend walked across the bustling street towards the outlet centre. The city's energy pulsed through the air, a stark contrast to the tranquillity they had left behind in their hometown. They weaved through the busy sidewalks, catching glimpses of vibrant storefronts and people from all walks of life.

Entering the outlet centre, they found themselves surrounded by a myriad of enticing aromas wafting from various food stalls. The air was filled with the sizzle of grills and the chatter of hungry patrons. Their stomachs rumbled in response to the tantalizing scents.

"I wouldn't mind getting a burger," Samuel confessed, his eyes scanning the bustling food court.

"I don't" his girlfriend stated.