Chapter Nineteen

The moonless night enveloped the community in an eerie, inky blackness, where the only sources of illumination are the sporadic, flickering bin fires that line the cracked street. The flames dance and cast long, wavering shadows across the decaying buildings.

Samuel mindlessly wandered the street alone, hearing the distant hum of laughter and the clinking of glasses. The residents, who have spilled out onto the streets, are raucously celebrating, their faces illuminated by the warm, orange glow of the fires. The air is thick with the scent of burning wood and the acrid tang of alcohol. The atmosphere had completely changed.

Some people huddle around the makeshift fires, their faces briefly illuminated by the fiery glow as they share stories and jokes, passing around bottles of alcohol. The sound of cheers and high-spirited laughter fills the night, creating a sense of camaraderie and celebration that temporarily dispels the darkness and solitude of the street.

The residents drunkenly raised their almost empty glasses as Samuel walked by, commemorating him for his efforts. He faked a short grin that vanished as soon as they weren't looking.

Samuel spotted Tahlia standing alone on the side of the street. Her right foot was up against the wall as she bitterly gazed at the festivities. Stopping in the middle of the road, Samuel wiped the dust from off his jumper and unwrinkled his clothing. Taking in a nervous deep breath, he stepped towards Tahlia.

Standing next to her, he playfully bumped into her shoulder with a large smile on his face. Tahlia's bitter frown turned into a large smile as her deep ocean eyes sparkled. "Enjoying yourself?" Samuel joked.

"Living the dream." Tahlia answered sarcastically, her eyes glancing directly into Samuel's. Her lips scrunched up trying not to laugh.

A band of people on the other side of the street were setting up their instruments. One of the members were putting together a dented drum set, another was cleaning his large cello and the last member took out a saxophone from his bag. They were clearly a jazz band.

"I've never seen the community like this." Tahlia spoke.

"Is that a bad thing or a good thing?" Samuel wondered as he watched the band laugh in unison.

Tahlia took in a deep breath, her eyes scanned the busy street. "It's bad. Really bad. The Whisperer has a hold on them. They are more brainwashed than I first thought." She answered.

The drummer of the band used his sticks to hit the high hat repeatedly. The member holding the saxophone took a step forward, his teeth yellow with large gaps in between them, yelled out, "We are Duck Soup! Praise the Whisperer!"

As the band, known as Duck Soup, began to play, the sounds of jazz enveloped the night. The drummer set the rhythm with a quick, syncopated beat, the metallic clang of the cymbals creating a sharp contrast to the warm crackling of the nearby fires. The saxophonist, with his reed instrument gleaming in the firelight, produced smooth and sultry melodies that seemed to both soothe and invigorate the gathered crowd.

The saxophone's rich, velvety tones filled the air, carrying a sense of both melancholy and hope. The notes seemed to weave through the atmosphere, a soothing balm to the minds of those who listened. Meanwhile, the cellist added a deep, resonant quality to the ensemble, the deep vibrations of his strings adding a layer of complexity to the music.

The jazz band's performance created a juxtaposition against the eerie backdrop of the night. It was as though their music held the power to temporarily make you forget the deathly darkness beyond the walls, allowing the community to briefly escape its influence and come together in a harmonious celebration.

Samuel's eyes gradually shifted to the back of Tahlia's head. Her eyes locked on the band. Samuel's hand were itching to connect with Tahlia's. His fingers nervously shook as the sound of the music muffled in his ears. His heart began to beat fast, and saliva began to build up in his mouth. As his saliva built up in his mouth, he nervously swallowed it.