Chapter Seventeen

Samuel and Tahlia stood side by side, their figures cast in a somber silhouette against the backdrop of an old, gnarled oak tree. The late afternoon sun filtered through the leaves above, dappling the ground with patches of golden light. A freshly dug grave lay at their feet, the earth dark and freshly turned.

Tahlia, her eyes brimming with unshed tears, clutched a small knife in her trembling hand. She approached the ancient oak tree. Her fingers tracing the rough surface, seeking a place to carve the young deceased girl's name in memoriam.

With each careful stroke of the blade, Tahlia carved the name into the tree, her emotions laid bare in the etched lines. The letters were deep, permanent, a testament to the love and loss that hung heavy in the air. As she finished, a single tear fell from her eye, landing on the carved name, as if sealing the memory in the bark for all time.

As she stepped away from the tree Samuel saw the name 'Tulip' carved deeply into the bark. He stood by Tahlia's side, a pillar of silent strength, offering his support without words.

Wrapping his arm around her cold weeping body, Samuel offered Tahlia his comfort. Gently caressing her arm, warming her body, they both gazed down at the small grave.

"I named her Tulip, after my favourite flower." Tahlia whimpered, wiping tears from under her eyes. "She didn't know how to talk when I found her." She added explaining to Samuel.

Samuel kept quiet, allowing Tahlia to speak her feelings. "I found her four weeks ago. Alone and terrified. She had no one." Tahlia spoke. "I had to protect her. But I failed." She frowned staring to the ground.

Tahlia timidly gazed up into Samuel's eyes. He looked comfortably back into hers. "You should be afraid of me." She said her voice sounding dry and dull.

"Why?" Samuel asked worried.

"I'm a murderer." Tahlia responded, tears flowing down her cheeks like a stream of water.

Samuel shook his head, attempting to push the detailed images of the old man he had killed out of his head. Taking a large deep breath, his chest enlarging from the air. "So am I." Samuel managed to say. Tahlia's eyes met with Samuel's, his discomfort was deeply displayed in his long gaze.

"I didn't have a choice. He was going to kill me. There was a part of me that wanted him to, I wouldn't have to worry anymore. I wouldn't have to deal with this cruel world. Yet, something deep inside me told me to keep fighting." Samuel opened up. He longed to release his bottled-up emotions, but revealing his vulnerability in front of Tahlia was a daunting prospect. He didn't want to show his weakness. "Now, I feel as though I'm in a state worse than death." He admitted, his heart weighed down by an unbearable sorrow.

Tahlia looked to the grave, the flow of her tears began to slow. "We have to kill him." She muttered. "The Whisperer has to die." She added, wiping a single tear away from her cheek.

Samuel exhaled deeply, with a soft voice he spoke, "He will. I promise." Placing his hand onto her back, he stared into Tahlia's deep blue eyes. "It's getting cold out here. We should head back inside." Samuel suggested.

Tahlia agreed, sluggishly turning around, folding both her arms. Samuel comfortably walked alongside her, his eyes jealously glued to Tahlia's tucked away hands. His heart was telling him to reach out for her soft hand and hold it tightly, but his mind was telling him to keep walking. His arm to his side, his fingers involuntarily reached out towards her, but he kept pulling himself away.

Samuel allowed a distressed Tahlia step through the open gate first. His sorrowful eyes couldn't lose her sight. As the gates shut behind them Samuel spotted the old man, from the cage, grinning with a large open smile as he waited for him.