Chapter 8

8-I make a valiant effort to take a nap, but everyone is hell-bent on mucking up my sleep schedule

Night fell. While Devona and I stumbled about in my mess of a brain, we were out cold in the real world. As we lay on the frosty ground, Edan got a fire going and set up temporary camp. When I found the path to consciousness again, he was sitting there, warming his frail hands.

For the life of me, I couldn't figure the guy out. Even now, there're things I can't pin. Something was definitely up with him, but Devona had yet to explain. Not that I cared much considering the bombshell she'd just dropped over my head.

I tried busying myself with chores. I gathered more logs, prepared the bedrolls and worried over Lazuli. Anything to get my mind off things. Attempts were futile. I always drifted back.

Thankfully, Devona was keeping a close eye on me. She decided enough was enough when I almost walked straight into the roaring fire. I was all too happy to sit my ass down. My body was shutting down before I even touched the blanket. I felt beyond legless, despite not having touched a drop of anything.

I lay beside the campfire as the moon climbed its way past the sun. Sparks flew, a funnel of smoke snaking into the sky. Lazuli was nearby, still conked out, as were both the canines. Crickets drowned their snores and ruffs.

The still air was dry against my skin, though not cold enough to draw out any shivers. I grabbed the blanket Devona had set out for me and draped it over Lazuli's form. The steady rise and fall of her chest washed away the rest of the world for a moment. Curly hair tumbled into her face, but I didn't dare tuck it back. A human. Gods, what in Annwn was I getting myself into.

Leaning back, my lungs sucked in some woodland air. Smells of the smoldering fire swirled with that of frost, cold yet cozy. A light posse of fireflies lazed past as my eyes drifted shut.

Someone shook my side, whispering to rouse me.

"Come on, Reaghannn. A couple more hours," I groaned, rubbing my eyes and rolling over. Throwing a lethargic gaze over my shoulder, I jumped up, surprised not to find Reaghan's violet eyes staring back.

Devona peered down at me from atop a rock. Her dark hair hung loose, falling over her shoulders and onto the stone. A wild thing.

She'd changed dresses, the new one just as bright and flowery as the last. By the gods, I couldn't figure out where she kept those things and, maybe more importantly, how she kept them so spotless. The muck layering my once pale gray shirt refused to vanish. I pried a leaf off my cheek while sitting up.

Fingers combing through my hair coherent thoughts tried to form themselves. Reaghan's face was still in my mind. I swore as it all came back to me. The fire, the kidnappings, my escape. What I wouldn't have given to fall right back asleep and forget it all over again.

It'd gotten dark while I was out. The creatures of the night were doing their things, despite the frigid weather. I spotted Edan sleeping in a bundle across the fire, opposite from me.

"I figured you might want something to eat," Devona's voice pierced through the silence. "We move bright and early tomorrow. No time for breakfast."

I nodded. She handed over a piece of skewered meat. My stomach grumbled at the sight. Grabbing the stick, I took a huge bite, and a familiar foul taste filled my mouth.

"Did it have to be squirrel?"

She made a sour face. "It's all we've got. Edan's never been the greatest hunter," she shrugged.

It was either squirrel or starve. So, holding my breath, I dug in, trying to ignore the overwhelming taste, and scent, of wet fur in my mouth. I finished up and tossed the now-barren stick aside.