23- I honestly don't have a clue anymore. This is a call for help

I couldn't answer for a moment. We'd made it? So, I'd been right about that crow after all. That focking crow.

Pushing myself onto my knees, I shifted to lean over Lazuli. She was dazed and confused, still lying on her back. Stunned, but still breathing, thank the gods. Klepto held her hand, trying to rouse her with soft calls.

Rising to my feet, I turned to find the crow. She stood nearby, preening her feathers without a care in the world. A crowd had gathered behind Devona, drawn in by the commotion. The logo adorning their forest green uniforms was familiar; the very same as the one carved into the back of the torc clinging to my neck.

"What do you want, Morrigan?" I asked, hands balled into fists.

A medley of disconcerted murmurs erupted from the crowd. The crow paused its grooming to look at me and a moment of silence passed between us. It was as if the goddess expected my praises. She was welcome to stick those expectations where the sun don't shine.

Then, with what appeared to be a haunchy shrug, she transformed. As rays of light emanated from the bird, I cried out, warning the others to avert their eyes. Shouts of alarm and pain escaped those who didn't do so quick enough.

Waiting until the bright heat dissipated to reopen my own, I cast a glance at the fae behind me. A handful of corpses, skin shriveled and burnt beyond the point of recognition, littered the once pleasant grass. Some soldiers rushed to their companions' sides; most remained motionless, staring ahead, almost transfixed.

I struggled to curb the anger that threatened to take hold. Unfazed, Morrigan stood tall before me in her bipedal form. A shining bronze plate covered her chest, the celtic arrow emblazoned on its forefront. Black feathers painted her golden skin, the breeze not even so much as ruffling them as it passed. Wavy red hair framed a face covered in symbols and patterns that oozed magicks.

I took a step back. She bore no weapons, yet my every sense tingled and shivered. If anger hadn't been cutting off common sense, I'd have backed away, or perhaps run. Things being the way they were, I held my ground even as she offered a cruel smile.

"You haven't answered my question," I pressed.

Everyone held their breath; a couple fae even cursed my impunity as we waited for her response. Whatever the outcome they'd anticipated, all the goddess did was laugh, throwing hands on her hips.

"Cernunnos was right for once. You really are a breath of fresh air. No formalities, just as I like it. Well, ladram, why I'm here should go without saying. You do plan on battle, do you not?" Her voice was mocking yet firm.

"We don't need your help." And I meant it.

Morrigan cocked a brow. "Is that so? What has you riled up? Anyone should be grateful to receive my aid in a time such as this."

"Should I be grateful that you nearly murdered Lazuli? What about all those folk? Did they not matter to you?" I pointed behind me, fighting to keep my tone somewhat civil.

The goddess sighed, casting her first glance towards the corpses. "The fae should've known not to stare at my true form. As for the human, she doubted me. It had to be remedied."

"By letting her plummet to her death?"

Morrigan shrugged. "The girl is fine, no?" Her fingers waggled in Lazuli's direction. "I don't see why you prattle on about this."

An apology had been the farthest from what I expected, but her nonchalance took it too far. As if Murphy felt the same way, an unprompted blast hurtled out of me. The goddess stumbled, only just stopping herself before a crash onto the forest floor. Gasps went up, quieting as Morrigan straightened. The face of rage that followed was much more befitting. She stalked right up to me so that we were eye to eye.