Part VI ~ Fara

She unravelled the gold chain from her wrist and allowed the miniature golden container to slip free of her sleeve. Deftly, she twisted the cap to remove the top and drop the last smattering of Dryseth into her wine. She'd request a larger pouch from the apothecary this time. Holding the cup between her thumb and smallest finger she refastened the cap with her free hand and tucked it back into her sleeve.

As she raised the cup to her mouth a hand shot out from nowhere to snatch it from her. She whirled around to Dacian holding it tightly, his brows furrowed in judgement. Casually, he turned to set it down on the banquet table behind him.

"What do you think you are doing?" She hissed.

Dacian glowered at her. "Saving that unborn babe you seem intent on killing with that poison you've not so cleverly hidden." He gave her a look of disappointment that made her cheeks burn.

She leaned closer to him to hiss, "'Mayhaps you wish to command the band quiet so you might announce it to the entire hall?"

He glared at her still. "Then I assume you have yet to tell him?" Dacian slid his eyes across the hall to where Valdr sat in conference with Pagel, heads close together, hands covering their mouths. Dura sat by his side, stiff but prettily turned out.

She made a noise in her throat. "Tell my brother I carry the heir of Azura inside me? Of course, I haven't. Have you lost your mind?"

"You do not think it would make a difference to his plans? Influence what he does now? To know you have a claim on Azura?"

"That too makes me afraid," she admitted. "But it seems as though nothing can convince him from war with Leoth. Least of all the knowledge that Galyn's child is growing inside me. He loathed him enough to see his realm destroyed. I cannot be certain he would not view any child of our union as something else he must destroy."

Dacian looked uncomfortable at her statement but did not disagree. He considered his words a moment before speaking. 

"Except this child would be his blood, too. In fact, if it is male and until his wife gives him a son, it would be his heir."

"Panos is his heir."

Dacian shifted, uncomfortably, his eyes filling with emotion. "Fara, you know it is unlikely your brother is still alive."

"You do not know this," she shook her head. Even now she heard Theodan's words. I shall do everything I can for your brother. She believed the hope that lay in such a promise. She believed in Theodan. "Until evidence of his death is confirmed, my brother is alive. And he is the heir to Calate's throne." She could see though he did not wish to disagree with her, neither did he share the notion. He nodded once with a dip of his head.

"You cannot know what his reaction will be to news of your being with child," he said, turning to look at Valdr. "Perhaps he will see it as his own claim to Azura, protecting the child on that basis alone."

She had considered this. Wondered if that would be enough to keep the child safe, but if it happened to be a girl would Valdr recognise her right to succeed Azura's throne as Azura herself would? Where Calate and Zybar's laws forbade female succession, Azura's did not.

"No. I shall not risk it," she said. She looked at Dacian to find him studying her closely.

"You truly believe he would harm your child," He stated. She tried to look away from him, but his gaze held her there. How easy it would be to tell him, she thought then, how easy it would be to win his loyalty and turn his mind against Valdr once and for all. His ships and men would be hers. She had hidden it from Theodan, and Galyn before him, only Arielle had known the truth of why she had fled. She'd guessed when she'd seen her scars. Had caught her in those days after Galyn's child had bled from her body when she had been weakened and in need of comfort, reassurance.

'Men will commit heinous crimes unto women in the pursuit of their own supremacy. Your brother should be your protector, your knight, your teacher. He should not be your torturer. I am glad you are safe, my daughter.'

'You will not tell him? I could not bear to have him look at me with disgust... with revulsion. I know I have no right to ask it of you, to keep such a sin from him, but I do not know what I would do were he to stop loving me. If he were to send me back...'

Arielle reached out and took her head. 'My son will never stop loving you, Fara of Azura. Neither would he look at you with anything other than adoration and love. But I shall not speak of it to any other... you have my promise, child.'

Tears welled in her eyes at the thought of Arielle's sacrifice. Of her strength. Self-loathing rose inside her.

"I will not take the risk. Therefore when he finds out, I plan to be a long way from here," she vowed. "Now, give me back the cup, Wyllan."

He stiffened, his eyes darkening once more. "I will not allow you to harm your child with this poison, Fara."

Indignation made her curl her hands to fists. "Your tongue is once again too loose, Lord Dacian. Did I permit you to use such informalities with me?" The hypocrisy was not lost on her. But she cared not. She may be a female but she was his princess.

He lifted the cup and swallowed its contents, bracing at the taste. "I am afraid I cannot return the cup to you, your grace." He slammed it down on the table and turned to face the room, standing stiff beside her. Some moments passed before he spoke again.

"Tell me, how do you plan to raise an army while filling your body and mind with toxins which shall only make you weak?" His voice was quiet but firm. He did not look at her but cast his gaze studiously around the room.

She almost gasped aloud. Then he had not forgotten. Perhaps it was she who had. The strength and purpose she'd felt in Alathy, before Torrik's execution and the recommencement of Valdr's affections, seemed dulled now. Faded. The strength it took not to crumble here was significant. It drained her. But so did the Dresyth she had drenched her body with. It did slow and weaken her mind, her body; her resolve too. It made each time Valdr touched her bearable, but after she was doubly weakened.

"I had not thought you cared much for my ideas of treason," she said quietly.

"I do not consider it treason to disavow a futile war, for now, futile reasons," he looked at her. "I was prepared to send my ships and men to Leoth only to avenge your death. Such a cause no longer."

Her mouth dried up instantly. She blinked at him, hope and fear and possibility prickling across her skull, down her spine.

"The commander of an army must be strong, alert, and prepared to die for their cause, your grace." Dacian's voice was as determined as she'd ever heard it. "Are you prepared for such a thing?" He flicked his gaze down, pointedly.

"If I stay here, my child and I are dead, Wyllan." In more ways than one. "I have no choice."

He let out a soft breath as he turned back to face the large hall. "There is always a choice, Fara."

"For some perhaps," she replied, her voice trembling. "For others, the choices they are given are not truly choices at all. But you do have a choice, Dacian. If you really suggest what I think you do, then my brother will have your head. I may be gifted some mercy and find myself in a monastery without a tongue, but your land and your people will never be free again."

There was not a moment's hesitation. "I have made my choice, your grace. But I have a condition." He turned, grabbing two cups of wine from a passing server. He handed one to her and took a sip. She did the same.

Dacian would gift her a sea army. Dacian would lead her army by her command. She refused to believe Theodan was dead, that Panos was dead. She could get word to the mountain tribes and sea tribes as Galyn had planned and rebuild Azura's army. She could reclaim Azura from Zybar and announce Galyn's heir. 

There was no condition Dacian could make that she would not accept. Not if he would help her do this. None.

"Speak your condition," she said.

Something flashed across Dacian's eyes that looked like uncertainty. "You will honour the betrothal our fathers made when we were children and become my wife."