Changing Distance (Dean Winchester x fem!reader) Soulmate AU

You bolted up in bed as you read the distance on your wrist. Your soulmate was so close! Closer than they had ever been before. When you turned 16, a number had appeared showing how far away your soulmate was from you. The problem was, your soulmate had NEVER been close to you before. And when they came closer, it seemed to only be for a little while. It both worried and frustrated you. They were always changing distance from you. But now they were close and you were going to finally meet them if it was the last thing you ever did.

You clocked in for your shift at the local diner when your distance count chimed at you. You let out a gasp. Your soulmate was in the diner! Or just outside it. They had to be! Without explanation to the other waitress, you pushed your way out of the kitchen and out the front door as your distance counter stopped before the numbers began going back up again. You watched in dismay as a beautiful '67 Chevy Impala drove away from you, the numbers continuing to climb once more.

You counted yourself lucky that your keys were still in your pocket. You wasted no time climbing into your own car and driving after the Impala. Your soulmate was in that car. You HAD to meet them. Your phone rang and you answered to your boss yelling at you. You yelled back that it was a soulmate thing before hanging up. Your boss would cool off and understand later.

You quickly found the Impala and began following. The distance counter was mocking you as you weaved in and out of traffic. "Where are you going?" you muttered to yourself. The drive seemed to last forever, but it clearly wasn't that long since you didn't completely run out of gas when they finally stopped at a motel. You parked a few spaces away. You didn't want to creep your soulmate out when you first met them.

You watched from a distance as two very fine looking men stepped out of the classic car. The tall one had longer hair. He wasn't really your type, but still very easy on the eyes. But the shorter one had your mouth dropping open and hoping that he was your soulmate of the two. Short hair sat above a beautifully freckled face. His shoulders were broad and he walked on slightly bowed legs. He was gorgeous.

The two of them walked into the motel lobby and you decided to wait to check in for yourself. You needed a moment to catch your breath. If you were going to meet your soulmate, you needed to clean up and prepare yourself for what you were going to say. Once you saw the men had entered a room, you let out a deep breath and made your way to the front desk, praying they still had a room available.

You were in luck as there was one room left. Once you entered your room, you glanced at the counter. Steadier than it had ever been. You grabbed a quick shower, your eyes hardly leaving your wrist. The counter stayed firm the entire night and even a chunk of the next day. You tried several times to leave your room to go and meet your soulmate, but you kept chickening out. You were such a coward and you were sort of beginning to feel like a creep. You had followed these guys out here on a whim and now you were too scared to talk to them.

When you finally did exit your room to get food, it was only to see your soulmate driving off again. Cursing to yourself, you ran to your car. Your stomach protested vehemently and you knew you couldn't keep going without food. As it would turn out, your little detour would end up saving your life.

When you finally caught up with your soulmate again, it was dark and for some ridiculous reason, your counter led you to the woods. You were tempted to wait in your car, but then you heard the cries of "SAM!" and "DEAN!" They sounded like something was wrong. Without even thinking about the consequences, you clamored out of your car and ran into the woods.

The pants of your uniform were tearing and you could hardly see so you did what you'd been doing. You followed your soulmate counter. If the counter distance went up, you changed direction. At one point, you had to stop and catch your breath. Panting, you leaned against a tree just in time to hear a low growl to your left. You glanced. Before your eyes was the most fearsome thing you'd ever seen. You couldn't have named if you wanted to. You were certain you were hallucinating or that it was some kid playing a prank.

You opened your mouth to yell at the stranger only to have your mouth covered by a rather large hand. You turned your head to glare at the person who had to nerve and froze. It was the longer haired man from before. With is free hand, he motioned for you to keep quiet. You nodded and he removed his hand from your mouth. For a moment, he looked relieved. It seemed like you were in the clear. But then, a sound echoed through the otherwise quiet woods. The sound of two distance counters chiming.

You glanced to the other side and saw the shorter man staring right at you. The taller one let out a swear before pushing you to the ground. The sound of a gunshot had you jumping up and attempting to run in the other direction. You ignored the cries of the two men. It was too much for you. However, you soon found yourself flat on your face in the dirt, the sound of growling looming over you. This wasn't exactly how you envisioned the day you met your soulmate. You didn't expect the day you finally met them to also be the day you died. Tears slipped from your eyes as you waited for the end.

The creature above you suddenly let out a horrifying shriek. You were pulled up from the dirt by a pair of strong and steady hands. "You okay?" a deep voice asked. Your first instinct was to look at the thing that attacked you, but a gentle grip on your chin stopped you. "Trust me, Sweetheart, you don't need to see that. You okay?" Finally, you looked into the eyes of your soulmate. They were green. A stunning shade of the color that you'd only ever read about.

"Did it scratch you? Bite you?" You shook your head. Your mouth seemed unable to form words. "I-I'm Y/N," you finally managed to whisper and he smiled. "I'm Dean. That's my brother Sam. And you, Sweetheart, should not be out here. Why are you?" You merely lifted up your arm to show him your wrist where the number zero now flashed repeatedly.

Dean let out a wry chuckle. "That was stupid, you know that?" You glared at him slightly. "Look, I'm sorry. You weren't supposed to find out like this. Hell, I wasn't even sure we'd ever even meet, but now we have, I guess I need to explain some things." It was your turn to laugh. "You think?" You let Dean lead you back to where your cars were parked and Sam followed close behind.

"Get in. I'll drive you back to the motel and explain." You argued that you could drive yourself or that, if he really wanted to protect you, he could drive your car. Sam scoffed playfully. "There are only two things my brother is more protective of than his car. Me and, I guess now, you. Trust me when I say, he's not letting you out of his sight until he knows you're alright. And he sure as hell isn't letting me drive his car."

You felt your skin heat up as Dean held the passengers' side door of the Impala open for you. "Guess I'm riding with Dean then. Take good care of my baby, Sam. She may not be as nice as this one, but she's mine. If I see so much as a scratch, that monster in the woods will seem like an angel compared to me." Dean's grin was stunning. "Oh, Sweetheart, I think we're gonna get along just great."