3 - Coat, Richard, Hacker

Coat, Richard, Hacker

It is the following day and Sherlock is making his way into the Diogenes Club to speak with his older brother. He is confused to put it mildly and so many questions have formed in his head: why now? Why has his brother kept Juliet a secret from him for so long? Why does the coat seem familiar? He is hanging around in reception waiting to be taken to his brother and he is bored, so bored.

*Flashback*

"What is troubling you John?" Sherlock questions, "Do not be vague. I do not have time for that."

"The coat Sherlock." John grunts, "Doesn't it seem familiar to you?"Sherlock ponders this...it is a coat! What more? He does not remember meaningless things like fashion necessities but this coat does have a whiff of mischief about it. He stares John dead in the eye hoping he may have the answers but of course he doesn't...he is John. Sherlock groans audibly and flops into his chair like a child making the army doctor roll his eyes. Soon later Juliet returns still wearing the coat with the fur lined hood.

"Where did you get that coat?" Sherlock asks his daughter who is stood looking blank.

"R-r-richie gave it to me." Juliet stutters with a look of bafflement. "Why?"

"Who is Richie?" He grimaces.

"Totally ignore my question then..." She trails and shrinks into the coat more. It is overly sized for her, a man's coat which is a khaki green colour with a fur lined hood. John is right, this coat is definitely familiar.

"And you have just totally ignored mine." He smiles, "I am just interested that is all."

"Richie is my saviour." She plainly states, "He helped me from escape the hell hole of cold showers, disgusting food and unlawful imprisonment."

*End of flashback*

Sherlock's thoughts are interrupted by a young, blond PA who looks utterly bored with life and has just gone through a difficult break up - well for the other half anyway. She cheated on him with his best friend, they had a fist fight in the pub as she walked out completely bored out of her mind. She has not got the brain capacity to put together any sort of plan hence why the government have hired her to become a secretary, she couldn't even think of spreading secret information or become a criminal mastermind. Simple. Sherlock deducts as she mutters, "Mr Holmes will see you now Mr Holmes." She then pauses as she realises that both men have the same surname but being so dumbfounded she cannot work out the link. Sherlock pushes past her and through to Mycroft's office where he is leaning against his large, oak desk looking side tracked. He looks up from the floor when his junky detective brother enters.

"Ah Sherlock, to what do I owe this pleasure?" He asks with a grimace, "It is usually me visiting you so this is a pleasant surprise."

"Liar."

"Quite. Now are you here about the missing item? Because I could really be doing with it back." Sherlock scrunches up his nose in disgust when his brother refers to Juliet as it.

"Sadly not brother." Sherlock spits, "I am here about another matter. Why would they come out of hiding now?" He questions Mycroft ominously with a poker face.

"Sorry?" Mycroft panics.

"Moriarty." The older Holmes exhales in relief, "He made his TV appearance a whole month ago but he has not made an appearance. So why would he come out of hiding now...we need to lure him out." He explains and then glares at his brother who is perspiring nervously. He may be able to mask his feelings from most people but not the world's only consulting detective. "You seem to be sweating brother mine. Something I said?"

"No...I thought you were referring to something else." He loosely clarifies and tightens his tie around his neck to make himself look more professional.

"Oh yes Juliet we will talk about her later." Sherlock rushes and Mycroft gulps, "Actually maybe now would be a good time; why would you hide her from me Mycroft?!" He roars in fury, the veins surrounding his forehead have begun to bulge an ugly purple as Sherlock's fists ball. If he didn't have any dignity to keep he would wallop his brother here and now but there are more pressing matters at hand.

"When she was born you were a drug addict...her mother died during a rather catastrophic labour in a brother." Sherlock screws up his face in bewilderment. "I bet you don't even remember conceiving her." Mycroft laughs darkly and narrows his eyes at his younger brother as he shakes his head. "Final year of university, people made fun of you because you were a virgin so for your birthday what did they do? Get you pissed, high and hire a prostitute. Happy birthday Sherlock Holmes! And happy conceiving day Juliet Holmes!" He mocks and Sherlock takes a lunge forward ready to punch but is stopped by his brothers whisking hand grabbing his wrist forcefully. The pair separate silently and the high functioning sociopath takes a couple of deep breaths to steady his breathing and tugs at his suit to straighten it.

"Then why did you punish her for being alive?! You gave her the kitchen's leftovers, you locked her away in one room for sixteen years and she has only ever had a cold shower!" He accuses while jabbing his finger out every so often.

"We gave the best education-"

"And?!" Sherlock interrupts, "She was a child!" Silence floods the room again and Mycroft shifts from foot to foot either in guilt or impatience. Most likely the latter. "And who the hell is Richie?"

"Richie?"

"Must be someone who works here, because it was them who helped her out! I should be grateful to them." Mycroft stares into space for a second before shuffling to the opposite side of his desk and scanning a list of names. He skims the list once, then twice and then three times but nothing.

"Sherlock...no Richie works here or a Richard."

*Flashback*

"-And thank god that there was a computer in my room..." Juliet continues to chatter to John and Mary as Sherlock is rummaging around in his drawers. "Richie he contacted me through that...at first the screen went fuzzy and then he was there. Lovely man."

*End of flashback*

Sherlock enters his mind palace and just sees three words floating around: Coat, Richard, Hacker? "Sherlock!" Mycroft interrupts his thoughts, "Stop being antisocial and listen to me!"

"No!" Sherlock yells, "I have the cards here Mycroft! I could have you sacked for what you have done but I cannot be doing with you on my back for the rest of my life! I want all of Juliet's possessions taken to Baker Street! Today! She needs clothes etcetera, you do not own her!" Mycroft nods timidly as Sherlock starts to storm out. "And you have no right over me neither! You are not my brother!" With that he slams the door.