4 - The Curtain Rises

The Curtain Rises

London. It is the capital of England and the most prestigious city in the entirety of the United Kingdom. It homes just over eight million people and caters to on average sixteen million tourists each year. It holds some of the most beautiful and famous buildings but also has a reputation for the people who live there. There is nine thousand, one hundred and ninety seven miles of road in this capital which acts as some kind of circularity system allowing the many citizens get from one part of London to the other. Then there is the London Underground System which was opened in 1863 and carries over one billion passengers each year. With four hundred and thirty escalators, one hundred and sixty seven lifts and sixty six step-free stations, this network of four hundred and two kilometres keeps London alive and functioning. The tube station with the most number of platforms is Baker Street with ten of them but this is not the main reason that Baker Street is famous. Oh no. The great Sherlock Holmes, the clever detective with the funny hat lives at 221B Baker Street and has done for many years — with a short interlude of him being dead or whatever.

People wonder what goes on behind the closed doors of the consulting detective's home; some imagine him sitting there with a pipe resting in his hand by a warm fire. Others imagine him just wandering around with his deer stalker on and his magnifying glass in one hand playing real life detective games. No one has imagined him like this. His hands in a steeple position as he thinks through the fact that he is a dad and there is nothing he can do to stop that. He feels lost.

His daughter meanwhile is sitting on the sofa pretending to read when she actually just wants to talk to her father about future plans and family stuff. But no she has to pretend to be alright, for his sake. She is just thankful that her evil Uncle, Mycroft, will not bother her anymore so she can live her own life. A phone rings bringing everyone out of their thoughts and Sherlock exhales loudly before bringing his mobile up to his ear. "Sherlock Holmes." He states in a flat tone. "Yes... Where...? We will be right over..." He hangs up and pockets his phone.

"Have you got a case?" Juliet croaks and then regrets speaking. She sounds scared and she has just given herself away. Sherlock shuffles to his feet and approaches his daughter reluctantly placing a gentle hand on her shoulder.

"I have a case... I know this is strange but my life is... You can stay or you can come with but warning there will be blood." Juliet smiles and leaps to her feet feeling honoured that her father, the world's greatest consulting detective (well the only one) has asked her this.

"I would love to come!" She exclaims and Sherlock rolls his eyes dramatically. "Is John going to come?"

"He is too busy with married life so we will go on without him." He grits his teeth and begins to walk out of lounge grabbing his long, dark coat as he goes.

\~.~.~.~.~/

Sherlock and Juliet Holmes exit the cab after paying the driver when they reach their destination. Greenwich Palace which is now Greenwich University. This wonderful location is usually teeming with young students chattering away about university life and other social topics but today it is swarming with emergency vehicles left, right and centre. Detective Inspector Lestrade is on hand today to try and solve the case of the dead victim inside. He looks up and sees Sherlock approaching. "Oh boy..." He mutters and plasters on a fake grin while Sherlock does the same making Juliet giggle. The giggle cannot help but make Sherlock smile for real. "Sherlock and who is this?"

"Oh yes you two haven't met." The high functioning sociopath realises, "Juliet meet Graham Lestrade, Graham meet Juliet Holmes. My daughter." Lestrade pauses for a second trying to work out and process everything that was just said to him.

"It-it is Greg... and how did you get a daughter?" Greg gasps.

"I am pretty sure you know the mechanics Lestrade or maybe you need me to explain the birds and the bees to you." Silence falls, "Anyway the body?" Lestrade starts to lead the two Holmes towards one of the building where there are numerous officers situated and police tape galore.

"The victim is Georgie Palmer. She was here doing a post graduate in some kind of computing, very good at it. Top of her class." He rambles as the group push through the pile of forensics, including Anderson, who has no time to speak when they pass but looks disgusted. "She was found first thing this morning by the librarian not just dead but pinned to the wall with knifes." The body is revealed as a young woman of about twenty four years with a hole in her forehead from a bullet and then sharp dagger like knives have been pushed through her hands, ankles, neck and stomach to keep her restrained to the wall. She is naked. And written in blood next to her are four words: Did you miss me? Chills run down Sherlock's spine, everyone knows who did this from the unannounced television broadcast a few months ago but this girl did not have to die. Moriarty is making a point.

"Moriarty." Sherlock mumbles, "Why have you brought me here? It is obvious that he did this!"

"Jim Moriarty?" Juliet questions and Lestrade nods, "I have heard of him. Heard of all the destruction he has caused but I have never seen this man."

"Tell me about Richie, Juliet." Sherlock requests and she furrows her brow in a confused fashion while Lestrade does the same.

"One day he appeared on my computer screen and said he could get me out of my problems." She rushes, "I managed to escape he met me and gave me this coat and then left."

"What nationality was he? Did he have a surname?"

"He was Scottish and he never told me his last name..." Juliet looks down at her hands ashamed.

Suddenly the lights dim leaving everywhere in total darkness pretty much. Everyone fumbles for their phones to get some sort of light but they won't turn on. "It is him..." Sherlock trails, "He is here. Back from the dead."