41: The Horror

Annabeth POV

Today, I'm hanging out at the park with my family. The boys were playing on the slides while my dad and I were on the swings together.

I can swing several feet in the air, but my dad was failing epically.

"Dad, it's not that hard. You just have to flex and stretch your legs at the proper time," I explained between laughs. My hair was blowing wildly in the wind. Helen came behind my dad and started pushing him.

"My poor baby needs a push," Helen cooed with a smirk.

I laughed as my dad's face flushed. He was tightly clutching the chains of the swing while finally catching some air. I never imagined a casual day like this with my entire family. However, thanks to Percy, my desires became a reality.

Percy motivated my dad to spend more time at home. He brought my father back into my life, and I'd always be grateful for that.

We helped each other. he brought my family back. While I couldn't bring Sally back, I was helping Percy honor Sally and move past the trauma of losing her.

"ANNABETH, WE NEED YOUR HELP," Matthew shouted. He ran towards us quickly and pulled me off the swing.

"What's wrong?" I asked in a panic.

"Bobby got stuck in the swing. I think that his clothes got stuck on the cracks, and he's stuck inside the tunnel."

I almost burst out laughing. The situation was funny even though I was concerned about Bobby. He got stuck in the tube tunnel. Matthew and I walked towards the yellow slide near the back of the playground.

Bobby was calling for help from the inside.

"All right, Matty, make sure that no other kids go down the slide. I'm gonna climb up to Bobby and get him unstuck," I explained firmly.

It's not that hard to climb a slide. However, the tube was meant for kids, so it was slightly difficult to squeeze my way up the slide. Bobby was stuck about halfway up. His shirt was torn on a crack in the plastic slide.

"Hey, Bobby. You okay?"

"No," Bobby cried. "I'm stuck on the slide. What if I never escape?"

"Relax, Bobby. I'm just going to rip your shirt so that you'll be free," I expressed.

Sweat beaded my forehead as I crouched in the narrow space. Matthew was screaming at some kids near the top of the slide. At least, he was doing his job. My muscles pulsed as I tore Bobby's shirt near where it was stuck in the slide.

The instant that the shirt tore away, Bobby started sliding down, taking me with him.

I yelped as we slid towards the bottom. The velocity catapulted us off the slide and onto the sandy flooring. I groaned while rubbing my butt.

"Thanks, Annabeth," Boby shouted while hugging me.

Matthew slid down the slide and joined our hug. I laughed while squeezing my brothers tightly. Helen and my dad were chuckling and taking pictures of us. Even though it was so simple, the evening became one of the best memories that I have of my family.

I love my family just like I love Seaweed Brain.

I haven't told him that I love him yet. I was saving those three words for a special occasion. I could already imagine the brilliant smile that would illuminate his face, and I wanted to cherish that moment.

Last weekend, Percy and I were on his bed. I had slept over at Thalia's house, and it was early morning. Percy was still asleep. I didn't want to bother him because he's been so stressed lately about Gabe's escape.