Hell/Earth

" So, did you go to Bens house yesterday evening?" - my friend Meghan asks me, while we're having a coffee during our lesson break at University. We're both in the eccomics program.
"Yeah, I did"- I reply " very boring, as usual... I think I'll be ready to see him again in four months, I was dying the whole time"
"Did he... did he... try to make a move?" - Meghan insists.
"No luckily, you know he's too shy. A big wolf only when he texts"- I laugh.
"Pheww... all guys are like that, even Thomas, he's all words and no substance in the end" my friend huffs, talking about the guy she's "having a thing" with , at the moment. "Why did you leave Jake? He was a cool guy, at least he had a bit of personality, he was a real man"
"Meg, he broke with me actually"- I remind her.
"Oh... right, I don't remember why tho" - she replies a bit embarrassed , I'm used to that- she is a funny and nice girl, but a bit of airhead.
" Said I was becoming a bit cold.... didn't find me so cute and sweet as he did at the beginning of our relationship"- I reflect.
"Mhh... oh Leya, that's Mrs. Bencley, isn't that her?"- Meghan says, deviating our conversation and indicating our teacher with her eyes, just a few meters away from us.
"Oh yes, hope she hasn't heard our conversation" I say giggling a bit.
The quick comic moment is sadly soon replaced from the speaker of the radio who's reading today's news ' Mystic City Eatherea's Government is thinking about closing the online singing competition that took place every year to allow one person from the Districts to earn a place as an artist in Eatherea. The Government is deciding whether to close the competition in 3020 or in 3021- it is possible that the Eatherea's online singing competition will still take place another year, before definitely ceasing to exist in 3021. Aetherea live singing competition will remain active- we'll provide you with further news. Have a good evening!"
"Have a good evening my ass..." I mormour between my teeth. "Leya!" Meghan scolds me, indicating again with her eyes our teacher- but, honestly, I really couldn't care less at the moment, the sudden new has greatly damaged my mood. "Meg, you know how important this is for me- a lot of people say it's actually a lot more likely to pass Eatherea's competition than Aetherea's one. This year could be the last possibility I have of winning the Eatherea's one... it's tragic! By the way, did you stream the song?" "Oh yes, I did-I did" Meg replies showing me her stream on the phone. " Thank you" I reply smiling " Did your sisters also manage to?" I ask her. I actually don't like being so insistent, and pushy.... but given the fact that I don't have all the money to pay a lot of curators to stream my song, and I can only occasionally do so, I have to insist with people I know to stream the song, I have to be pushy... and it's honestly quite exhausting. After hearing the news about the competition though, I'm motivated as ever to do all that I can, to assure myself a high number of streams.
"Mhh, no. I forgot about them sorry, I will tell them tomorrow. Anyway, do you want to go out for dinner tonight, after lesson? Like I mean, we can go back home to change, then go out just soon after" Meghan says.
The way she changes so radiply and nonchalantly the subject of our conversation gets on my nerves. Why?! Why doesn't anyone get how important this competition is for me? Everyone seems to consider it as something I do as an hobby, something to fill my free time... Hell! I even do a part time job to earn some extra money to pay the curators to stream my song!
"I mean, you know- I'm trying to save money for the competition Meg"
"CMon Leya, I think it's two months we don't go out for dinner or even a drink! Please, just this time! Maybe you'll meet there someone new once we go out, other people to stream your song!" Meghan tries to convince me.
" Well... okay, then. You're right; jut for this time, though- and yes it's better if we go home first to change. I probably won't go out many other times before the end of the competition."
" Oh, finally!" Meghan exclaims. " We'll cut off a few coffees between breaks to get the money of the dinner back, ah"

After the lesson, I head back to my car. It's already sunset, despite being only 5.30 pm, but we're at the end of October after all .I usually park my car in the parking of the University- but I couldn't find any place today and I had to leave it in a narrow street nearby. The street is between two extremely high walls with some sharp spikes on top of them; the vision of the high and menacing walls together with the burning red light of the sun that's setting, gives the impression of really being in Hell;
I mean, no-one believes in concept like Hell or Heaven anymore- but from what we studied in "History of ancient cults and religion" this is kind of how people used to picture Hell, I guess. Maybe, actually -this is just how Earth is.