Ch22

The railroad tracks whistled as if a train were blowing by, but there was nothing on the tracks except for two pairs of feet clanking on the reddish tracks. It formed a long line going farther than their eyes can see on both sides, two long red ribbons running adjacent to one another in a straight line. The moon was so big and so low on the horizon, so bright that it was clear as day. It shone ahead in their direction and illuminated the path.

Liam felt that it was astronomical encouragement, that he was actually doing something right for a change. They walked side by side, Liam balancing on one side of the tracks and Caleb walking normally. He had chosen a muted old hoodie and the same jeans he always wore. Liam looked up and down at the evidence of wear and how Caleb himself seemed a part of the faded backdrop that was their surroundings.

Liam, of course, was stuck with what he wore when he was last here, alive. His death began to sink further in every time they came back.

"So, we have checked these tracks already multiple times, and we haven't come to any conclusion of how I died," Liam said plainly. "Maybe we should check the surrounding area and see if there's a missing shoe or a knife. Evidence of a struggle."

Caleb corked a brow. "You're really taking this seriously."

Liam found it difficult to look at Caleb then, fair and glowing in the moonlight. His eyes shone as if they were illuminated from within. It's something that Liam was first drawn to when he first saw his face that one night. It made Liam look steely by comparison. Looks were deceptive.

"Hey, what's over there?" Liam pointed.

Caleb turned his head. Liam pulled Caleb's hood over his head and in another flitting motion reached around and pulled his strings.

"Wh-" Caleb pulled at his face and opened his hood, pulling it back down over his head.

"I'm just trying to keep you warm, babe," Liam teased. "Now, let's seriously look for clues."

The moon illuminated everything around and although the path ahead was clear, the surrounding area was unnaturally dark. Pitchblack, pointed shadows swayed on the ground.

"Remind me why we came here at night," Caleb said.

"It was your idea, and there's no time to lose." Liam pushed a branch to the side when he noticed the beginning of a trail. "Caleb, have you seen this trail before?"

Caleb tilted his head. "I...no?"

"Well, let's look!" Liam turned. "Uh, please tell me you brought the flashlight."

Caleb shone it right at Liam's chest with a smile. A nervous tremor went through Liam, but he offered up a small grin in return before he led Caleb on the path. As soon as he broke through the underbrush the spike of adrenaline did not stop until it coursed through him, making Liam want to run. He was walking a little too fast and jumped as Caleb took his shoulder, who looked at him with a bit of concern.

"Stay close, Liam."

Liam nodded. "We need to be thorough, right?" He slowed and walked at Caleb's side, every so often looking from the ground up to get a sense of direction. The trail took a wide arching right. In the distance, the river filled his ears with the rush of water.

"Are we finding anything here?" Caleb asked. Liam could hear the curiosity in his voice, see it in his face when he had turned him around. He had become more attuned to him after he spent less time around that book, and Liam knew that Caleb could tell he was onto something. Liam took another step forward when suddenly, the bright light from the flashlight in front of him was engulfed in rays of sunlight, the path clear to him and yet muddled at the same time.