Chapter 02

Ding-dong.

I ring the bell once and take two steps away from the door, clasping the invitation between my hands, nervously.

I cannot emphasize enough on how nerve-wracking it is to visit my dad - and his current family - when I barely share any connection with him.

He left us when I was thirteen and divorced my mom four or five months after. She was hopeful that he would be back until the last moment. But he returned with the news that he had fixed his marriage with a colleague in his office. It shattered her, and us, and I've simply hated him for it. I hate him for breaking mom's trust and for letting us down.

It took Maa forever to stand up after the fall, but she hasn't turned back ever since. I can only imagine the strength it takes to glue yourself together, when the person you loved and did everything with suddenly decides to let go off your hand. How can people run out of love after years of marriage and togetherness? It's something I would never understand.

It's a horrible thing to say, but I don't want to end up like Maa. It terrifies me. I wouldn't be able to bear it all if Advik walks out of my life. After planning almost every little thing together.

Before my thoughts tangle up into something worse and bigger, the door swings open.

It's Aisha. My step-sister. I'd prefer to call her a stranger, who simply hates the sight of me, and my siblings. If murders weren't illegal, she would've killed us by now. I can bet my life on that.

She looks straight into me; and it's deadly.

"Uhm...", I fumble.

"Wait here", she snaps and walks back inside, slamming the door on my face again.

I hate to swear but - what a mannerless little bitch!

Minutes later, my dad shows up and he smiles, instantly. "Neetu said you're coming. Come in. I prepared breakfast for you", he holds the door open. "No, I'm running late for work", I utter the lies, as I fabricated it in my head.

He looks a little disappointed. But I honestly do not have any interest in sitting down with his new family over breakfast. "Eat a bit? Five minutes?", he negotiates. "I have to be there by 8.30 and I have just 15 minutes in hand", I shrug.

"Okay. Come some other day", he whispers softly, and the two of us coexist in silence for a while. I hate the person I am around him - upfront, straightforward and rude. But I cannot help it, either. It was his choice to leave us and I'll never forget that.

"The invitation. It's on March 18", I inform as he takes a glance of the invitation. "Please do tell Aunty, as well. I need to go", I force a smile and turn away, without any further exchange.

_____

It was a hectic day at work. I didn't know whether to meet the targets for the day, or hand out wedding invitations. I was simply over the top. I mean, I could barely stand to my ground.

"Madhav!", I call out for another colleague who walks past my table and fetch out another invitation, in a rush. "Hi", he walks over to the table and leans down.

"What's up?", he raises his brow. "18th March!", I hold the card out to him. "What the fuck? For real?", he looks perplexed and I chuckle. "You're too young for this, Navya. Don't fall into the trap", he teases. "Advik Shah...hmm, so to-be Mrs. Navya Shah, I'll see you on 15th", he winks, before walking away and I smile. Oh my God, is this for real?

"Gosh, he's such a flirt. I wish I could record this and send it to his wife", Kesha - my closest friend at work - utters in frustration. "I cannot stand his face, and it's worse when he opens his mouth", Kesh rolls her eyes. "Chill. You give way too many shits, Kesh", I calm her down and just then, the landline on my desk rings.