Chapter 45

"What are you doing? Did you eat something?", Kesh questions, through the video call, whilst folding her clothes and I shake my head to the sides, blankly staring at my sheets.

"Are you going to starve now?", she frowns in disdain.

"Okay, I did overreact a little too much in the morning. It was so sudden, I panicked so bad, you don't even know", she justifies and I simply listen to her, without uttering a word back. "And my pregnancy has ruined my mood!".

"Did you talk to Darshan?", she further interrogates. "He didn't even call me since morning", I mumble, running my fingers over my sheets.

"But I met his wife", I reveal. "And?", Kesh prompts. "And, what? She told me to stay away from him. She started off nice, and then began picking at my status. I lost it at her", I admit.

"That bitch cheats on him and comes over to tell me that I'm doing the wrong thing. She never made an effort in their marriage and now, all of a sudden - she has figured out that she has hurt a good man, that she's losing a good husband. Fucking bitch", I vent everything out.

"He's too good, and I know I'm nobody to say this - but he doesn't even deserve her. He doesn't even deserve to be around her shadow!", I snap shakily and bury my face on my palms.

"You love him a lot, don't you?", Kesh pauses and I smile, painfully. "I've grown so much love for him in my heart; more than what it can hold", I whisper, studying my fingers. "But what's the point?", I smirk with tears in my eyes. "Some of us are destined to love. Only from a distance", I scrunch my nose, wearing an aching smile. He's the star that illuminate the sky of my life, and I---I'm merely a stargazer who can admire its beauty from a distance.

"I wish I could do something for you, Navi. Trust me, if there was a way, I'd do whatever it takes to bring him to you. But now that his wife is involved and wants to rework everything in their marriage, the longer you stay with him, the tougher things will turn out to be for you. You understand, right?", she looks at me for a moment and I breathe in deeply, agreeing with her.

"He's a good person, and I know for a fact that - what you feel for him, he feels for you with the same intensity, or perhaps, even more. But you cannot overlook circumstances and even if you decide to shut your eyes and blindly go for it - you'll be fucked up. Think about it - the media will hog on your image until nothing's left, your business will fall apart, you'll be labelled as the one who had an affair with Darshan Raval and amidst all that, you'll have to face Devesh Sir, and your family. How many people will you answer? And if you do - you think you'll find peace?", she concludes her talk and just then, I heard two loud knocks in my door. The doorbell rings thrice in a row and I spring up to my feet.

"Kesh, I'll call you back!", I breathe and shut my laptop, rushing towards the main-door.

Who could it be, at this hour of the night? It's almost 1 in the morning. Slowly, I hold the door open and look through the small gap to find Darshan standing at the doorstep. Our eyes meet and this time, we don't exchange smiles; we simply look at each other, deep into the sadness in our eyes. He looks worn-out; his eyes are tired and the light that illuminates his face has entirely faded out. 

I hold the door open and look down at the floor, clinging onto the door-handle. "Are we going to talk here?", his voice is low, and it takes me a moment to swing the door open for him.

Inside, we settle down on the sofa, sitting opposite to each other in a dauntingly long silence. Out of nervousness, I crack my knuckles and frantically, look around. He plays around with his wristwatch and the two of us simply coexist for around five whole minutes, until he makes up his mind to break the silence.