Chapter 14: Unstable

*Note on special formatting: italics will be used for normal thoughts, as usual. However, bold will be used for a part of the character's personality that his dominant side tries to suppress (but those words are also thoughts).

Ajax lied.

He knew he would not go back into that bedroom ever again. He had no intention whatsoever to see Shannon again. Now, that's a shame, really. But I've got better things to do than make a stupid search engine hot and bothered. The burning red on her cheeks and the flabbergasted look on her face were priceless, though!

He let out a sly giggle and went for the stairs.

Running down the stairs had never felt so invigorating! He thought as he descended the stairs merrily, jumping a few steps at a time and laughing like a young add-on.

He reached the seventh floor, where the gym was. He took a moment to look at himself in a huge mirror. These red irises and black scleras are killer. Damn, I look hot!

The broken glass of the picture window had been repaired after Nekari's and Pitt's intrusion there. He approached the window to take a good look at the city. Its neon lights contrasted with grace against the deep blue of the sky.

I'm free now. I feel... as if a huge weight has been lifted off me. He took a deep intake of air. For the first time in my life, I can... I can be myself.

No, this is not me, you bloody idiot!

A bolt of lightning struck his mind from within with those accusatory words. A migraine invaded every nook and cranny of his brain like a tsunami. He put his hands on either side of his head with a guttural groan. His knees felt so weak that he had to kneel.

A short glimpse of his face on the glass, and he realised with a gasp that his irises and scleras were glitching again. What the fuck?!

Something inside him wanted to be back in control of his mind and body.

I'm still here. Good, old Ajax, the AAA rookie, his good old self said using his inner mental voice.

I know, Viral Ajax replied, taking the mike for a second.

I'm gonna fight the viral poison and take over.

No, you won't. Viral Ajax mentally answered with a wicked grin on his gorgeous face. You're a pain in the arse. You almost made me lose control with that hot chick in there.

Don't even think of her!

Relax, dude. I'm not coming back to her anytime soon. Or ever. A bright future awaits me.

No! You won't get rid of me!

Wait and see.

He took a nanosecond to concentrate. Neatly measured intakes of air filled his lungs while he had his eyes closed. A moment later, he opened his eyes once more. His scleras were black; his irises, red. Viral Ajax had won the battle.

Now, it's showtime!