Chapter 18: Nekari's Suffering

The event that would change the tide of the battle, sealing the doom of Browser City and abroad, could take place in a nanosecond.

If Shannon's strength failed her and Viral Ajax stabbed her with Nekari's poisonous dart, it would mean game over. They were struggling over each fraction of an inch with shivering, tense arms and hands. 

The dart was slowly getting closer to Shannon's neck. She was sweating due to the effort and the stress she was under.

"Get it done already!" Nekari yelled at Viral Ajax while still chasing Zita on her flying skateboard.

"No! Ajax, stop!" Zita yelled with hopelessness. "Don't do it!"

"You think he'll listen to you, a pathetic, pesky, baby add-on?!" the spyware shouted at her, smirking.

"I might be young, but I'm not a baby," Zita replied with pride glowing in her eyes. "Nor pathetic or pesky! Ajax is good. He fights to protect add-ons and functionalities like me, like the citizens of Browser City."

"Oh, dear," Nekari replied with a defiant smirk. "I changed him when I poisoned him."

"No! I've seen him act and listened to him talk. He's strong enough to remain who he truly is. No infection of yours is going to stop him from going back to normal! Besides... he likes my auntie!"

"Pathetic." Nekari kept chasing Zita with her broken scythe regardless of the young add-on's bluntness and faith.

Shannon and Viral Ajax were still battling over who had the situation under control while Zita and Nekari were arguing. The dart was dangerously getting closer to Shannon's neck. Half an inch forward and it would pierce her delicate skin.

Listen to little Zita, Good Ajax thought with pride. She believes in me no matter what. Isn't precisely this kind of unconditional love what you... what I... have been looking for all my life? She needs you. The add-ons and functionalities like her need you. Me, to be more precise.

Ultimate glory awaits me around the corner, Viral Ajax replied, mentally growling, and you try to tempt me with a promise no one was ever willing to make me?! Wake up, you moron! It's all just a bunch of lies!

No, she means it. Like Shannon. She also meant everything she said. She wants you back - me back.

His eyes were glitching as badly as when Shannon had pushed his psychological buttons a few nanoseconds before. Good Ajax wasn't giving up.

Shannon is a cock-teaser, just like any girlfriend you've ever had!

No! Don't you say that about her!

"Algo, do something!" Zita yelled at her beloved animal companion, which was standing a bit awkwardly, as if it was dizzy. It was still affected by the pain on its head on account of Nekari ripping off its right ear.

After a heartfelt bark, Algo narrowed its eyes on Ajax and boomeranged the situation to their advantage despite being badly hurt. It swiftly hit Viral Ajax in the hand which was holding the dart. With a loud clang, the dart fell too far away to grab it again soon enough. 

Viral Ajax let out a cry of pain and hissed a swear word while he held his blood-stained hand with care.

Shannon took that opportunity to kick the dart as far away as possible. She also had some nanoseconds to catch her breath, stay as far away from Ajax as possible, and think about what to do next.

In the meantime, Algo ran to the discarded dart and crushed it under his mighty paws with ire. 

"Fuck," Nekari whispered with a frown. "Ajax! Get ready for one more dart! Make sure you make the most of it this time!"