CHAPTER 3

SAWYER

As I stand there, I almost want to kick myself for thinking about the first time I kissed her. It was months ago and to this day, I don't understand why she let me do it.

I've seen the guys she's into and I definitely don't fit in the millionaire, pretty boy category. I've also wondered why I kissed her. I knew she was provoking me and she's also not the type of woman I would normally be into, not that I have a long list of them.

The thing is that Kendra frustrates the hell out of me. She's conceited and cruel for absolutely no fucking reason. I've seen the way she treats people and there is nothing okay about it but I've also seen how she is behind closed doors. I think that's the problem. Maybe I've been her bodyguard for too long because over the past few months, I've been noticing things that I shouldn't be. It's making me be less effective at my job.

It seems like I'm making mistake after mistake and it's not okay.

Kendra turns to glare at me. "I told you to leave," she says angrily.

I nod slowly, knowing I should, and then I suppress a sigh feeling a little defeated. She watches me with her blue eyes as I step inside and walk closer to her.

"Everything's going to be fine," I say as I look at her. "You know I'm not going to let anything happen to you."

She narrows her eyes at me. "I don't need your pity, Sawyer."

"It's not pity," I say to her. "It's a promise."

"Well, I don't need it," she says angrily.

"What do you need?" I ask her.

"I told you I need you to leave."

"You want me to leave?" I ask then I nod. "Alright."

"You kiss me and you think you suddenly have some right over me?" She asks.

"I'm simply checking on you, that's it," I say.

"That's not your job," she says as she glares at me.

"You're right," I say. "But you know what? I haven't been the only one playing this game. You're just as guilty as I am."

She glares at me for a moment and then she takes a step forward and stands in front of me. I look into her teary blue eyes and I see the anger and sadness in them.

"What game?" She asks and I feel my shoulders tense a little when she places her hand on my chest. "This game?" She asks then she reaches up and presses her lips against mine. "Are you going to pretend you don't like it?" She asks, her lips brush against mine. She looks into my eyes. "Are you going to pretend this isn't why you came to my room?"

"It's not," I say in a low voice.

Her eyes harden a little. "Then you're of no use to me."

We look at each other for a moment and when she takes a step back, I reach out and wrap my arm around her waist. I crash my lips against hers and I can feel the electricity between us, just like I did on the day we kissed for the first time. Her lips are soft but she kisses me hard, matching my intensity.

After a moment, I pull away and I look into her eyes. "Is this what you want?" I ask her. "What you need?"

"Right now, yes," she says.

I look at her and I know that I shouldn't but I place my hands on her waist and I pin her against the wall as I kiss her. I can feel myself tense with each stroke of her tongue and I know this is wrong.

She's in danger—the last thing I should be doing is kissing her. I should be making rounds, making sure the area is truly safe, but her lips have me hostage right now. I've been yearning to kiss her again and I didn't realize how much until now.