CHAPTER 6

KENDRA

"I know your secret."

I feel the dread run down my body as I look at Mia. "What?"

She laughs. "That you were in Aruba with some mysterious guy?" She asks. "Girl, you've been all over the tabloids."

"Oh," I say as I relax back down on my chair. "Right."

I look at my reflection on the mirror as the makeup artist continues to do my makeup.

After Vincent left yesterday, I called Amelia to let her know I was ready to jump back to work. She was so happy, that she squealed in my ear.

Amelia has been my agent since I started my modeling career so she's been working for me for a few years now. She keeps me on my toes and never fails to get me into all the best gigs. I owe a lot of my success to her and sometimes I don't know what I would do without her.

Sawyer drove us to the airport from the safe house last night where my private jet was waiting to bring me to New York. Amelia and Melanie, my publicist, don't waste any time. They've been planning my return and I get to do a photoshoot today and then I have some fittings in the city later this afternoon for a fashion show this weekend.

Having things on my schedule again feels so good. These past few weeks have felt like an eternity and I'm more than ready to resurface. I want to forget all about the nightmare that I lived.

"Well?" Mia asks.

"What?" I ask as I turn to look at her.

"Don't play dumb," she says. "Tell me all about your romantic getaway. Who was the lucky guy? Do I know him?"

I face the mirror again and I look at my reflection before my eyes move behind me to Sawyer. He's standing against the wall, right next to the door. He has his hands clasped in front of him and he has the poker face he always has whenever he's on duty.

"No, you don't know him," I say to Mia, feeling annoyed with how nosey she is.

When she heard that I was in the city, she came over to the studio. Mia is also a model and she likes to stick to me like glue whenever she can. I know she does it for clout. The poor girl is only trying to get her name out there.

"What was his name?" She asks with a smile.

"I'm not telling you," I say to her. "All you need to know is that it was spontaneous and he was amazing."

While I was away, Mel was busy filling the tabloids with a fake story about me being in Aruba with a mysterious guy. It was a genius move because it kept my name out there while I was gone and it also kept reporters from digging deeper into where I really was.

Mia laughs. "I bet he was if he made you disconnect from everything."

"I needed the break," I say then I smile slowly. "And he was a great distraction."

"Well, you should know that it's been driving Jace crazy," she says. "He was texting all of us trying to figure out where you were. I think he would've gone to find you if any of us knew."

I roll my eyes. "He's so annoying."

"Oh come on, you guys will probably be back together by next week."

I smile. "Maybe, if he's convincing enough," I say and we both laugh.

"You look amazing," she says when they're done with my hair and makeup.

I look at my reflection on the mirror and I smile. "I know," I say.

I look at myself and it's almost as if the last few weeks never happened. My hair is back to its silk shine and my makeup is flawless, though I never really need too much. I feel so much better than I did just a few hours ago. This is what I was always mean to do. There is no doubt about it.