CHAPTER 5

KENDRA

It's been two years since my parents died in that car accident...and it's also been two years since I found out that they weren't my biological parents.

In a way, I always had a feeling. As I grew older, I began to notice how different I looked from my brothers and sister. I was the only one with blue eyes and they all have similar features. Xander and Sebastian resemble our dad and Cameron resembles both Mom and Dad. Brianna looks just like Mom did and I...don't look like any of them because I don't share their DNA.

The rumors began when I started being on the spotlight. There weren't a lot of tabloids about it and now I wonder if Mom and Dad were behind that, but I used to read all the comments online. Comments of people noticing how different I looked. Comments of people wondering if I was adopted. All of those comments planted a seed in my head and once it was there, it was impossible to not begin to ask questions.

I remember asking my mom once who in our family had blue eyes and she said her great-grandmother did, which was a lie. My mother noticed when I started getting suspicious and she always made sure she subsided my doubts, but her efforts were in vain.

I spent most of my teenage years modeling and trying to figure out if I was adopted and then I got too busy to worry about it.

I moved out of home when I was eighteen and by twenty-one, I was living the life I always wanted to live. A life where I could do and have whatever I wanted. My popularity was growing by the day and so were my friends and my money. Being beautiful literally turned me into a millionaire and I have loved every second of it.

I love posing for cameras. I love that I look good at every angle and I love how good I feel whenever I'm doing a photoshoot or runway show. I'm good at it and I love being hated for it. I'm living proof that haters really do make you famous. They give you clout like no others and instead of crying over hate comments online, I learned to laugh at them. People criticize me and tell me how horrible I am yet they're on my Instagram page every time just making me more money.

My modeling career is the one thing that I have that isn't anyone else's and that no one handed to me. Yes, I obviously benefited from having Marco and Lily Sullivan as my parents but I'm the one that has been working her ass off from the very beginning.

Finding out that I'm not Marco and Lily's biological daughter filled me with anger and resentment towards them and towards Vincent and the woman that gave birth to me. Neither of them had any right to do that to me. Marco and Lily had no right to keep that from me. They let me grow into this popular family knowing that a secret like this would ruin me completely.

I hate where I come from. I hate that they're not really my parents. I hate that Sullivan blood doesn't run through my veins.

This secret changed my life completely. All I've done for the past two years is feel paranoid of someone discovering it and exposing it to the world. Sometimes when I'm on the runway, I think about how none of those people would give a damn about me if they found out I'm not really a Sullivan.

I'm a nobody.

I'm the daughter of some mobster, of a criminal and I hate that more than anything. I can't even be proud of my biological parents. The woman that bared me is dead and the man that calls himself my father is a criminal, a killer.

I've tried to imagine the chaos that would ensue if this secret came out. My modeling career would be over and my life with it because it's all I have now. Not just that but if they somehow found out who my biological father is, it would be even worse. I would be putting my family in danger. Xander, his children, Sebastian, Cameron, Bri—even Caroline. Everyone would be in danger if I'm exposed as being Vincent's daughter.