23. The Noble Idiot

Draco awkwardly sat down in front of the duo as he cleared his throat. "I heard the news from Hermione, congratulations." He finally said after a long time, breaking the sickening silence.

Harry nodded and Ginny smiled. "Thank you," Ginny replied with a small smile. "How did you manage to get away from all the reporters? I assume they're all sitting outside your flat?"

"Yeah, there's about twenty of them outside my flat every day. The first day I wasn't aware of their existence and I walked out - that was a mistake. Now, I just apparate from my flat."

"I guess they're just dying to know the truth." Harry chimed in, pressing his lips into a thin line.

Ginny nodded and looked over at her husband. "Harry, could you bring us some tea?" She asked.

"O, of course." Harry quickly got up, disappearing into the kitchen.

Ginny immediately turned to Draco and sighed. "Okay, what is going on between you and Hermione? Did you two talk to each other about the incident where you confessed you loved her? Which by the way, I think is so romantic and brave of you. Did you two clear things up?" She asked, spitting out question after question. "What happened?"

Draco blinked several times, trying to take in everything Ginny had just said. "Uhm, you heard about my ... confession. I'm grateful you found it ... romantic. Uhm," He took in a deep breath, scratching the back of his head as he exhaled. "My mother met with her after that incident and well, you can guess what happened next."

Ginny nodded, occasionally take peeks over her shoulder to see if Harry was coming. "Did Narcissa slap her?"

"Unfortunately,"

"And throw tea at Hermione's face?"

Draco furrowed his eyebrows. "Yes, how do you know this?"

"It's typical - I'd that, too, if my son did something like that to me. Look, I'm just going to assume you and Hermione are ... over. But let me just tell you something. I need you to stop playing the role of the noble idiot."

"What?"

"You're stupid, Malfoy. You're doing this whole thing where you're trying to make things right with Hermione by protecting her from afar and sacrificing your own happiness so that she gets better. You're playing the role of a noble idiot and it needs to end, now. What Hermione needs right now, is not protection, okay? What she needs right now, is you. I'm going to let you in on a little secret." She said, leaning in a bit. "Hermione's a stubborn one, and she hates getting help from others, she always tries to do things alone whenever she can, she hates being in someone's debt and having to owe someone something. That's the kind of person Hermione is. And I'm sure, she's pushing you away, right?" Draco nodded. "Well, I need you to fight back and stay with her. Don't listen to her, don't leave her alone. The hell with what she says, you need to be there for her. Okay? I'm rooting for you two, I'm on your side."

Draco leaned back out as he nodded. "Uh, thank you?"