Shoulder of the Waves

*Kaya's P.O.V*

I entered the house with Wade behind me. Kicking off my shoes and heading towards the kitchen. I opened the fridge to be met with almost nothing in it.

We really need to do a shopping trip.

Settling on a bowl of grapes I grabbed them and turned back towards Wade.

"Alright, now explain to me why you were out there surfing today instead of doing work?" I asked continuing a conversation that we had on the car ride here.

The tension was building from the conversation but had yet to explode, which was a win for us.

Wade ran his hands through his hair and sighed.

"I was done for the day, everything is all ordered and set up the the beech banger event. I got intercoms for the vehicles, my job is basically done."

"Done? Wade you still have to change the oil on the car. You could have at least been doing that." I stated before popping a grape in my mouth.

"I'll do it tomorrow." He stated while leaning against the counter.

"And what about the boy? This is exactly why I don't like you surfing in the 'no go' zone. Other people think they can do it too." I said continuing on

"I know it won't happen again." He stated calmly.

"What you surfing there? or the little kid surfing there? Because both is bad, you being there is a bad influence would it kill you to surf in another spot?"

"He won't surf there, and yes it would." Wade said

I opened my mouth to speak, hash out at Wade again but I stopped and closed it. Realizing this conversation was mostly me talking.

We were arguing like an old married couple, with the husband

"So if you could just get the lifeguards CPR certification updated then we're good." He said before clapping his hands together and turning towards the stairs.

Making his way upstairs, most likely to his room, I stood there confused. No lash back, no argument, just done. Except it wasn't, I still had so many questions. Especially after last night I really had questions about the way he was behaving.

Wade always fought back, always made his point know. He was distant and thinking about something else.

That much was clear. The surfing, our to-do list, the no-go zone, all of that was the last thing on his mind.

And the respect he was showing me. Oh yeah, something was definitely up.

Discarding the bowl of grapes I walked up stairs and towards Wades room. Slowly opening the door I was met with Wade sitting on the end of his bed staring at his hands on his lap.

I pushed the door open more so I could get a full view of his room.

It had plain white walls and a amazing view to the beach. If his house didn't scream rich his nice silky white bed sheets would.

Above his desk several surf magazines we taped to the wall and a picture of his family sat on his night stand.

I leaned against the door frame and looked at him with my arms crossed.

"What's wrong Wade?" I questioned my voice soft and barely audible.

Wade shook his head. And sighed before turning to look out his window.

"They should talk to you like that." He stated his voice laced with anger.

"Who, Lucas?" I asked, scuffing and rolling my eyes.