2 Breaths

*Wade's P.O.V*

We entered the house shutting the door, I immediately went over to the pantry to try and find some comfort food for Kaya. While I did that she just leaned on the counter closest to the laundry room where we entered.

She was just staring at the floor, and part of me remember it was her first time leading a CPR-AED rescue, in the past she had just assisted.

Its a completely different gig leading a team than it is just following orders.

I shut the pantry and just looked at her.

Hair now down, it was falling in blonde mobs down her shoulders. My t-shirt covering her body so her lifeguard suit wasn't even visible. She leaned against the counter with her arms crossed eyes glued to the floor and she finally spoke. She whispered,

"It's your fault you know."

I looked at her shocked, those were the first words she'd said to me? I expected more of an explanation but she didn't move, she didn't change anything about the way she stood there emotionless.

"What?" I questioned, slightly louder than her whisper.

"He, he surfed there because you surfed there." Kaya said her voice breaking, rough, and aggressive.

The tears finally coming from her eyes, she didn't sob, she didn't breath hard, she just... silent cried eyes still on the floor.

"That's what happened, he hit a rock didn't he." I stated finally connecting the dots on what had happened and fully realizing how traumatizing that rescue really was for Kaya.

I had assumed, but part of me hoped it wasn't true. That he hadn't...

"You had to go out and get him in the no-go zone didn't you." I said taking a few steps closer to her.

Again, she still didn't move, instead her eyes crossed a section of the floor before returning to her feet.

"You know you walking through here wet is ruining the floors." Kaya stated still not looking at me.

"No, don't change the subject" I demanded bringing my voice up realizing what she was doing.

Kaya looked up at me quickly, her glossed eyes having tears pour out of them. She was breaking down fast, the shock crashing down harder than a pound of bricks.

"Why? Why can't you just listen and follow the rules? You of all people should know how important they are!" Kaya demanded her voice starting out as a harsh whisper but growing louder with each word.

She took in a deep breath, still meeting my gaze by looking me directly in the eye.

Her blood shot red eyes clashing with her light blue irises.

"Kaya-" I started realizing very quickly were this conversation was going.

"I told you- I said!" She choked in a breath, "How, how do you live like this! You Insufferable bastard! A little kid could be dead because of you! And you can't even tell me why you surf in the no-go zone! You can't even begin to explain why you surf where are parents die! Why you risk your life everyday out there for the fun of it!"

She took in a deep breath before quickly continuing.

"Why you force me to hope every work day its not your body I'm pulling out of the no-go zone! Because everyday I'm so scared its going to be you!"

Kaya was standing up straight now, her voice at full on shouting. I wasn't angery, but defensive at her shouting unable to take the consequences that had clearly come from me surfing in the no-go zone.