Part I: Chapter 4

Aewryn

The next morning I woke up with a small sneeze. I'd made the mistake of falling asleep with my nose too close to the snow. I looked around and noticed the Pevensies and Beavers were still fast asleep. My eyes landed on Peter by accident. His eyes fluttered restlessly in his sleep and his hand twitched slightly. It seemed he were dreaming. I couldn't help but wonder what he was dreaming about. My eyes moved from his closed ones down the line of his nose as they explored the rest of his sleeping face. He had the regal features of a king yet at the same time they looked boyish and softened.

"He's better looking awake, you know."

I felt my face heat up a little as I looked over at Susan who was smirking at me. She ran her hand through her hair to shake some of the snow out.

"I, I wasn't...uh-" I sputtered trying to come up with a comprehensible sentence.

She giggled scooting over a little so we were closer together.

"I'm just teasing," she said looking over at Peter, "He's a good guy though he can be a bit of an oaf sometimes."

I laughed softly looking back over at him. My attention was drawn away by movement to the left. Lucy had turned over in her sleep.

"Lucy speaks highly of all of you. You most of all," I told Susan gently, "She truly admires you."

She looked stunned and didn't answer. We sat in silence until the others woke up.

"Let's get moving," Mr. Beaver said with a little shake.

Snow tumbled off his fur. We walked for hours. Soon we reached a high point where we could see much of Narnia.

"There," I pointed out, "Just pass the Stone Table is where Aslan's army lies."

"We just have to get to cross the frozen river to get there," Mr. Beaver said nodding.

"Frozen river?" Susan said looking unsure.

"Don't worry dear, it's been frozen for a hundred years," Mrs. Beaver reassured her with a smile.

We began making our way down the rocks. As we walked, I fell to the back of the group while the Beavers led the way. I looked around. This was certainly not the Narnia I had first found. The silence and cold were both bitter and slight painful. A hundred years, I wondered. A hundreds years here? How did that time measure to the world I came from? What of my grandfather? Was he still alive? Had he stayed in the manor? Did he know where I was?

"Are you alright?"

I looked up to see Peter had hung back a little so we were walking side by side.

"Yes," I answered nodding, "Just a little caught up in my thoughts."

He nodded continuing to walk beside me.

"Was Narnia always like this? So cold and bleak?" he asked.

"No, it was a beautiful place full of warmth and happiness. The trees danced, the animals were always playing and talking. It was amazing," I breathed reminiscing, "You and your siblings would have loved it. Especially Lucy. I wish you could all see it as it once was. Hopefully it'll be that way again some day."

I added the last thing as an after thought. Peter looked down at the snow covered ground with a small frown. I regretted my words instantly.

"I'm sorry," I murmured looking down at my feet.

"No it's alright," he said shaking his head, "I hope to see it one day."

I smiled looking over at him. He smiled back at me.

"I'm not gettig any younger here! C'mon humans walk faster!" Mr. Beaver shouted over his shoulder.

I rolled my eyes picking up my pace. Peter picked Lucy up so she was on his back.

"If he tells us to move faster one more time, I'm going to turn him into a big furry hat," he grumbled teasingly.

We all laughed hurrying to catch up with the Beavers. I frowned pausing for a second. I could've sworn I heard bells jingling. The others stopped too turning back. A massive sleigh was headed our way. Mr. Beaver shouted something about the White Witch and they all started running. But I knew the sound of those bells. I'd heard them before.

"Aewryn!" Lucy cried.

I smiled as the sleigh neared.

"It's okay," I laughed waving them over, "It's not the White Witch!"

The sleigh came to a stop in front of us. Nine beautiful reindeer pawed at the snow. Lucy gasped grabbing my hand tightly.

"Is that?" she cried excitedly.

"It is!" I nodded laughing.

"Hello children!" Father Christmas boomed with a jolly laugh.

I glanced back to see the smiles on the older Pevensies' faces. Even the Beavers looked excited and happy.

"The winter is ending," Father Christmas said, "And it's time I did my rounds again. I have gifts for each of you."

"Really?" Lucy asked stepping closer to the sleigh.

"Why of course, Miss Lucy!" he replied reaching into his massive satchel.

He pulled out two small items, a dagger and a vial. Lucy took them with reverent awe.

"This is so you can protect yourself. And the vial is filled with the juice of the fire flower. One drop can heal any wound and cure any sickness," he explained beforeing reaching back in and pulling out an elegant bow with a matching quiver, "Susan this is for you. Trust in the bow, and your arrow shall always hit its target."

She took the set with a nod and a smile. Father Christmas then turned to Peter.

"Now you must be Peter," he said.

"Yessir," Peter nodded.

"Well here is your gift," Father Christmas said handing Peter a magnificent sword.

All of us stared in awe as Peter took it. It fit his hand perfectly. It seemed like it was made for him. An inscription on the side read "When Aslan shakes his mane, we will have spring again." The other side read "When Aslan bares his teeth, winter shall meet its end."

"Thank you," Peter breathed still admiring the sword.

"Don't think I forgot about you," Father Christmas chuckled turning to me, "Here you are Miss Aewryn."

He handed me a strange glowing orb. It fit perfectly in my palm. A small light seemed to pulse inside of it.

"You will know how to use it when the time is right," he said pulling another thing out of his satchel, "Until then, you can keep it in this. It will not only protect it but also matches whatever you are wearing."

We all laughed at the last part. I slipped the orb into the small bag and clipped it to my skirt.

"Now I'm off to finish my Christmas runs," Father Christmas announced with another jolly laugh as he snapped the reins, "Merry Christmas everyone!"

We waved as he disappeared from sight. Now that was a pleasant surprise. Spring really is coming!