Part I: Chapter 5

Aewryn

I felt myself begin to smile as we continued walking. Sure as Father Christmas had said, winter was ending. The sun began to shine brighter and warmer. Little flowers began to pop up here and there in the snow.

"Oh wow!" Lucy exclaimed kneeling down to look at the flowers.

"They are beautiful aren't they?" I chuckled kneeling beside her.

I picked a few before braiding them into her short hair. She giggled sitting still as I pinned the two braids around her head forming a flower crown. Susan knelt down too beginning to do the same and weave flowers into her hair.

"We should get moving," Mr. Beaver huffed looking annoyed.

"Oh hold your horses for one minute. Let the girls have a little fun," his wife chided.

"For you Mrs. Beaver," I laughed as I startled her by setting a braided flower crown on her head.

"Oh how lovely," she cooed in a motherly manner.

Lucy, Susan, and I laughed turning back to the flowers. I felt like someone was staring at me. Glancing up, I noticed Peter's bright blue eyes were following my every movement. A warm blush dusted my cheeks as I quickly looked away. Susan caught my eye smirking. I rolled my eyes at her. A soft cracking noise made us all look up.

"Spring is coming, fast!" Mr. Beaver cried looking alarmed, "We need to get to the river before it thaws."

This time we obeyed, abandoning our flower patch and continuing in the direction of Aslan's camp. We soon reached the river. A frown formed on my lips at the sight of it already beginning to thaw.

"This is not safe!" Susan cried looking unsure as the Beavers padded out across the ice.

"If we hurry, we'll be okay," I reassured her taking Lucy's hand.

The two of us carefully followed after the Beavers.

"If Mother knew we were doing this," Susan whined.

"What she doesn't know won't kill her," Peter chuckled bringing up the rear, "Just keep walking."

We were about halfway when the ice began to break apart. A rushing noise made me turn. Realization hit as I saw ice chunks break off and disappear. There was a waterfall close by!

"We need to hurry," I gasped gripping Lucy's hand tighter.

"Now where do you think you're going?"

Lucy gasped in fear as a massive wolf began to trot across the ice. He paused several feet back from us. We turned only to see more wolves on the other side. My hand flew to my sword but Peter beat me to it drawing the magnificent sword that Father Christmas had given him and pointing it at the wolf threateningly.

"Whatcha gonna do with that boy?" the wolf snarled barking out a laugh, "You really think you could do it?"

"Peter stop! Just because a man in a red suit gave you a sword does not make you some kind of hero!" Susan cried sharply.

I nearly groaned aloud at her words. How little faith and how great their fear. Peter's hand wavered a little. Right then one wolf leapt forward. I drew my sword slicing downward. It backed up yelping as my sword sliced a massive cut on it's nose.

"At least the girl has more guts than you," the large wolf howled with laughter.

"That is enough from you!" I snapped turning to Peter, "The ice!"

He seemed to get my message and in sync, we drove our swords into the ice. A massive crack was heard as the chunk we were standing on broke off.

"Hold on to me!" I ordered Lucy planting my feet and sheathing my sword.

Her small arms latched onto my waist as the ice chunk began to flow down the river swiftly. Everyone screamed as we went off the edge of the waterfall. My arms held fast to Lucy to keep her from getting away from me. For a few seconds we fell. Then an icy shock shot through me as we hit the water. I was dragged down by Lucy, but refused to let go of her. We began to kick to the surface. As soon as my head brought the water, I gasped for air. Lucy did the same beside me.

"Are you alright?" I asked.

"Y-y-yes," she stuttered out her teeth chattering.

We both swam to shore and climbed onto the bank.

"Lucy! Aewryn!" Susan cried running over.

I glanced up to see her and the Beavers running over to us. She engulfed Lucy in a tight hug. I smiled shivering a little. I nearly jumped out of my skin when I felt something furry touching my arm. The sound of Peter's chuckle made my face instantly heat up. I glanced back at him as he slipped his coat the rest of the way around me.

"Thank you," I said looking down seeing as I could hardly control the blush on my face.

"No, thank you for saving us and then Lucy again," he replied with a smile.

"Well it is my job," I chuckled subtly pulling the coat around me more.

I finally let myself look up and our eyes met briefly. We both quickly looked away blushing again.

"It's a straight shot from here to Aslan's camp," Mr. Beaver announced suddenly breaking the moment.

"Lead the way," I said quickly turning away from Peter.

The beaver grumbled something under his breath as he waddled forward taking the lead again. I followed behind. Lucy joined me smirking up at me.

"What?" I asked raising an eyebrow.

"Oh nothing," she replied skipping off to talk to Mrs. Beaver.

I had a feeling that I knew exactly what she'd been planning to say, but I let the matter drop as she'd down. A smile appeared on my face again as we walked. We were so close to the camp! I couldn't wait to see Aslan again!