Epilogue

Peter

I frowned as I shuffled through the small pile of mail.

"Anything from Lucy?" Susan asked peering over my shoulder.

"No..." I sighed then an envelope with little flowers doodled on it caught my attention, "Wait—here's one."

I pulled it form the pile, smiling a bit at my younger sister's curly handwriting. The envelope was rather thick though which made my brow furrow in confusion and wonder. Normally Lucy just sent a brief update on her and Edmund's lives. This felt like it had several sheets of paper in it.

"Well, open it," Mother chuckled moving to sit on the sofa.

I ran a finger along the seal opening it. I was right, there were several pieces of paper in this one. I pulled out the carefully folded papers and opened them to the first page.

"Dear Peter, Susan, Mother, and Father..."

I began to read it aloud. Susan and Mother grinned as I read Lucy's story about her and Edmund's latest adventures. Apparently their relationship with Eustace had taken a sudden change for the better. She attributed it to Eustace's learning from Aslan while on a brief mission of sorts in Narnia.

Mother thought Lucy's story was an amazing example of her growing imagination. I know Susan was pretending to agree though her cheeks heated the minute I read about Caspian and how he'd grown up since we were last in Narnia. As I got to the close of the story, I realized there was another sheet of paper left. My brow furrowed slightly as I read the end of Lucy's letter.

"Your sister and daughter, Lucy. P.S. There's something we brought back for you, Peter, from Narnia," I read.

Susan looked up with a raised eyebrow, "They brought something back?"

"Apparent..." my words trailed off as I looked down at the last paper.

Only three words marked the page. Thin looping letters forming a greeting so commonplace it should not have made me freeze like I did. But I knew that handwriting. My heart began to race as my mind went blank.

"What does it say?" Susan questioned.

"Peter? Are you alright?" Mother asked.

I tried to form words but they caught in my throat. The other papers fell from my stiff hand as I clutched the one tightly. I slowly sank into the chair behind me, my mind swirling. It couldn't be...they—there's no way...it isn't possible...

"With Aslan, all things are possible, Peter..."

My head snapped up at the sound of her voice though I knew I had merely imagined it. Both Susan and Mother were given me worried looks.

"Peter, what is it?" Mother questioned sounding desperate.

I looked down at the paper in my hand again.

Hello again, Love.

***********************************************************************************************

The dock was full of people offloading and on-loading the massive sea-faring vessels lining it. In the midst of the chaos, a single young man with short cropped blond hair made his way off a boat and into the throng. His head was on a swivel as he tried to spot his sole reason for returning to England in the sea of people. Finally a voice called out.

"Peter!"

He turned sharply and smiled at the sight of his younger sister as she ran over to him. He chuckled hugging her tightly.

"Wow, you've grown," he smiled drawing back to look her over.

"I know," she laughed and grabbed his hand, "C'mon, this way!"

His smile widened as she dragged him through the crowds to the very end of the docks where it was far less crowded. She continued forward but he came to an abrupt stop spotting two people standing together. One, a dark haired teenager with a calm smile on his face, spoke to the second person, a young woman with long brown hair.

Peter's heart hammered in his chest as he stood staring at them both. Every sensible thing in him screamed that this was just another dream and that he would wake soon. That fear gripped his heart staying him from rushing forward. Lucy called out to the two and they turned. Peter barely registered his brother's face, his eyes immediately snapping to the young woman as she turned, her bright eyes filling with joy. In her arms, she cradled a small bundle of white.

"Peter..." she breathed, her voice somehow carrying over the distance between them.

"Aewryn..." he whispered, tears coursing down his face.

He ran to her and pulled her tightly to his chest, being mindful of the small bundle she held. Their lips met in a passionate, desperate kiss, her hand gliding into his hair as his hands gripped her petite waist. Laughter and tears poured from both of them as they kissed one another with fervor, every emotion in their bodies being transferred in the loving gesture. Aewryn finally drew away from Peter's lips to look up at him, her smile brilliant in the morning sun.

"Peter," she breathed, "Peter..."

She pressed her face into his chest inhaling deeply trying to convince herself that this was real. He cradled her against himself rocking her gently. The bundle between them began to squirm and gurgle making Aewryn draw back. She smiled looking down at their son. Peter's eyes filled with tears once again as he leaned down and kissed Percy's head. Percy giggled squirming and reaching toward Peter.

"He— he remembers?" Peter breathed carefully taking his son into his arms.

"Aslan said he will remember Narnia for as long as he believes," Aewryn nodded with a smile, stroking Percy's head.

"Then we must make sure he always believes," Peter stated.

"We will..."

••• The End •••