10

The doorbell rang.

"Hey." Emily said, holding her coat.

"Hello, you ready?"

"Yes, you caught me at a good time."

"Well, we should be on our way. Sorry for being late, I was in traffic."

"Its okay, I had more time to get ready anyway."

"Well, I guess everything worked out." They walked to his car.

"So, what's Linnie up to?"

"She's usually busy or with friends. It feels like I hardly ever see her."

"Wow, I'm sorry."

"Its fine. I needed a break from her anyway, honestly. I feel like a jerk saying it, but she's honestly really.... nevermind. And you know what else."

"You do not sound like a jerk. I understand you."

"You're the only one who does."

"I don't know how you do it, I couldn't."

"Its hard."

"I'm sure."

"To hell with it all. Anyway.. I've been thinking.. you look absolutely gorgeous tonight.."

"Aw, thank you, Richard. You look quite handsome, yourself." She winked.

They arrived and, of course, danced. They were both great dancers, Emily more so.

"Hey everybody!!" Lloyd yelled. "We're playing truth or dare! Be there, or be square!"

They reluctantly joined. Everyone sat in a circle. They went on and on, the dares getting crazier.

"Truth or dare.." Lloyd looked around. "Emily."

"Umm.. dare."

"I dare you... to kiss Richard."

She laughed. "Uh, no. Sorry, Lloyd."

Someone chimed in. "You know the rules.."

"C'mon Emily, just do it." Lloyd pried.

"Okay, whatever, you win." She said impatiently, and pecked Richard on the lips.

"No, you have to kiss him."

"I did."

"Like.. kiss him. I don't make the rules."

"Yes you do, Lloyd."

Lloyd laughed. "Just do it." He repeated

"I can't do this, he has a girlfriend."

"Who cares?"

"Me, that's who! Oh, yeah, and probably his girlfriend!"

"Its fine. Let's just do it, you know they won't let it go." Richard whispered.

Angrily, she said, "Fine. Let's put on a damn show for them, for all I care." She practically smashed her lips on to his. His hands reached her waist as her hand reached for his cheek. This went on for about 20 seconds. Everyone cheered. Weirdos. She thought. I cant believe this.

"Okay, okay, I think you two have had enough fun, for one night."

She pulled away. She saw Stephen across the crowd. Oh. My. God. She thought to herself again. "All of you are sick."

--

The 'game' was over.. Finally. She saw Stephen at the bar and walked toward him. Not making eye contact or anything. Richard sat down with her. She looked over.