~ We are not Guardians ~

Later that night we find ourselves sitting atop Jaime's roof. Jack is visibly distressed. His hood is pulled over his head while he paces back and fourth and he is constantly tapping that stick.

Sometimes I wonder why he has something to harness his power, and I just use my bare hands.

It confuses me.

Well, a lot of this confuses me.

"If there's something I'm doing wrong," Jack's voice splits the silence of the night, "can you just tell me what it is."

I know he isn't talking to me, but I answer nonetheless. "There's nothing you've done wrong," I tell him. "This is just the hand you've been dealt, and that's okay."

He looks at me as though I stabbed him, I give a genuine and compassionate look.

This time when he speaks, his words are half directed at me. "Because I've tried everything," he admits, completely dejected. "And no one ever sees me. (Y/n) you are in the same position, how are you okay with it?" He asks.

It's a good question. I have no answer.

I merely look at the moon and smile downheartedly. "I'm not, really," I admit for the first time, surprising myself with the honesty.

Jack sits down next to me, placing his free hand on my knee. "He put us here," he states simply before looking up at the moon. "The least you could do is tell us..." his words trail off as he hangs his head. "Tell us why."

The Man in the Moon never replies. As much and as often as Jack tries talking to him, we are only met with silence.

Not the comforting kind that fits around you like a blanket.

But the echoing and empty silence that causes you to lose every last ounce of hope.

Jack doesn't say anything, he merely stands up and gives me a hand to my feet. We drift over to the powerlines and balance across them. I don't mention that he still grasps my hand in his own, I just let it slide.

I know he needs someone to hold onto right about now.

I'll always be that person for him.

From behind us swirls a ribbon of Dreamsand. The gorgeous golden light causes Jack to chuckle and removes his hood.

I sigh contently, "Sandman is right on time," I state. He smiles at me before reaching up and touching a strip of dreams, causing specs to disperse.

Through all the beauty in the moment, I can't help but feel a impending sense of doom.

Before I can think more into the issue, a gush of wind knocks me off my feet. "Woah!" I cry as Jack catches me with the curled end of his stick. "Thank you," I comment, slightly alarmed.

"Don't mention it," he says cautiously, assessing our surroundings. We both notice the shadow dart through the trees in the distance and simultaneously go after it.

The chase is short lived seeing as it disappears once we reach an alleyway.

"What was that?" I ask, knowing perfectly well that he has no idea. He just quirks a brow at me, keeping his senses heightened. I turn to see a tall figure leaning against the dimly lit wall. "Ugh," I complain, dropping my hands to my sides.

"Hello, mates," chimes that thick accent. Jack spins around, still on guard. "Been a long time," the rabbit states. "Blizzard of '68 I believe," he says, surveying Jack. "You on the other hand, Rain," he spits my name out and I can tell he still holds a grudge. "The storm and flood of '95. A bit more recent. Easter Sundays, weren't they?" He asks rhetorically.