6 - The sad loner

The air is chill, it almost burns my nostrils and lungs to breathe it in after having been in that closed place for around two and a half hours.
I close and re-open my eyes, and look at my kidnapper, John. I smile at him, while he looks at me, curiously.
"What?"
"I thought you would have said no"
"I liked inside there, but I really needed to get out. I don't like to be around so many people for too long"
"Your friend doesn't think so"
"She's fine with people, I'm the sad loner" I try to be funny but it's true. I've always preferred to stay alone than to be around people. It tires me a lot, and I end up sucking in their moods and energies until I cannot take it anymore. It annihilates me. What was granny saying about creating energetic boundaries? Ah, I wish I remembered...
"I need some time off as well, every now and then" he says. And I can feel he really does. "Wanna take a walk?"
I nod. 
"So why are you here? If you don't like being around people, a concert isn't the best of places..."
"Yeah, right? I wanted to help Shona. She's helping me with something and I really wanted to give her something back."
"Oh, what are you up to?"
I am not sure if I can tell him, I really don't know him and what could be his reaction, cause if I have to think about it, it's a really weird story, but... I follow my guts and tell him everything.
About me being a journalist, about my grandma's house, the box, the letter, the medallion and the fortune teller. But not about the painter. I don't know why, I still wanna keep that info for myself.
"Woah, that's a very cool story! What are your next moves, Mrs E.?"
"I wanna visit the fortune teller" why is it easier to talk with strangers? We're less scared about what they think of us, maybe because we don't 'own' them yet. They're nobody to us, and we can try to wear no masks with them. Even though... John doesn't feel like a total stranger to me. I still don't know why.
"I think that's a good idea. When will you go?"
"Oh, I don't know" I say, confused. "Maybe tomorrow"
"Can I come with you? I'd love to get a reading once"
My eyes shut wide. Has he really said so?
"Please?" he insists.
Oh no, not the puppy eyes! I can't... "Yeah..."
Okay, let's admit I really wanted to go with someone but I knew I could have never asked Shona, so this actually is a very fortunate coincidence.

We're back to the Plaza, where the others are waiting for us. 
"Hey, you could have told me you were going away!"
Shona sounds annoyed.
"I didn't want to disturb you" I smile looking at her and Yuri.
John laughs.
"So what's up with you two? Friend, what is going on??" Gummy jumps near John, grabbing his head and shaking his hair.
"None of your business, bro"
"Uh, getting dark and serious, J!"
Everyone is making fun of him, I'm kinda sorry but I know he can bear with them. I turn to Shona and tell her we have to go.
"Girls, no! The night is young!" Yuri sounds so dramatic.
"Yeah but I'm not" I tell him, grabbing my friend's wrist "And she has to write down your review!"
"Goodnight, I will send you a message tomorrow morning" John tells me. Everyone is looking at us so shocked. Luckily I have come here with my car, so I can avoid answering, at least for a little, to the wondering look Shona's giving me.
"Goodnight everyone!"

It's basically noon, I am in a car with a guy I met less than 24 hours ago, we're heading to a fortune teller, and I am turning down each and every call I am receiving from my friend. It's all fine, right?
"You should at least answer her" John tells me.
"I will send her a message as soon as we arrive, I don't really want to talk with her now"
"About me?"
"That too. But especially about the fortune teller"
"She doesn't believe in souls connections?"
What is going on with this guy? 
"No, she doesn't. The road is still kinda long, so why don't you tell me something about you now? I already told you everything last night"
"I don't think you did, but okay. It's my turn"
He starts telling me about having had a nice childhood but it turned into a complicated life from his teenage years. He left home for a while, had some problems with drugs and justice, but then met someone who changed him: it was a guy who helped him connect more to himself, see the world from a different point of view, not an always angered one. He taught him how to meditate and how to work on himself and his shadow side, to become a better and more focused person. He taught him about souls, angels and spirit guides, and showed him how we're all interconnected. Music did the rest: he met Yuri one night by chance, out of a random local band's concert. They became friends and decided to create their own band. As Yuri stated during the interview, most of the lyrics and songs are written by the two of them. They met Gummy and Daniel through Yuri's friends not much later, and The Rebels were born. Each of them only wants to tell their story and try to be of support and help to people who are going through bad days.
I admit I am kinda surprised, despite having listened to their lyrics: the intention of these guys is clear, and also very noble.