chapter 2

Sleepover list
   Need to- vacuum, dust, bring down sleeping bag
  snacks- s mores, pizza, Mt dew, chips

"That should be about it" thought Amy as she read over her list at the table.

Amy's dad came into the kitchen and said,  "so is everything  ready for tonight?"

"Yup just about. Can you check and make sure I didn't miss anything? "

Her dad read over the list and nodded his head and handed Amy the list back. "It looks good to me. And both of your friends are coming right?"

"Yup! It's going to be so fun! I should go ahead and get this list done."

Amy hurried out of the kitchen, list in hand, and was going upstairs as she passed her mom.

"Don't forget your sleeping bag!" Her mom called after her.

"No worries mom! It's all on the list!

Amy's mom laughed as she sat down at the table.  "that kid and her lists."

" I wonder where she picked that up from." Her husband teased.

The afternoon went quickly for Amy. She kept busy cleaning, organizing and straightening every room her friends would be in. Only stopping for a quick chicken salad sandwich for lunch. Soon enough it was 4:30 and everything was ready.

Suddenly the door bell rang.

"I'll get it!" Exclaimed Amy.

She practically every threw open the door and was disappointed when she didn't see her friends but one of her parent's friends and coworker.

"Oh hi Mrs. Wells. Come in." Amy said with a hint of sadness in her voice. 

"Oh thank you dear! Tom and Sarah I'm so glad you two are home! I tried to call but the line was busy. I figured it was faster to just come. There is an emergency at the office and I need help. Please can you two come."

"What happened? Do you really need both of us? Amy has a sleepover tonight."

As if Mrs. Wells had forgotten about Amy she turned toward her and said with a sad expression,  "Oh I didn't know. I'm so sorry dear. Both of you don't have to come but it would go a lot faster if you both did come."

"Yes, but what happened?" Asked Tom.

"Oh my! I have no idea how it happened but as you know being labour day and the office is closed I decided to go in and catch up on filing and adding in figures in the computer system and somehow the power died just like that. I turned it back on but when I went back to work all the information was delated. I had a feeling I should check on the other data bases and found they had been deleted as well. I couldn't find any rhyme or reason for it so I came here. Will you please come?" Pleaded Mrs. Wells.

"That would take all night! Everything was deleted?  Asked Sarah.

Mrs. Wells nodded saddly. "Every bit of it. We would need to get out all that paper work and put everything back in."

Amy's mom and dad exchanged glances that seemed to say "what do you think?"

Here Amy stepped up and said "You guys go on. We'll be fine. I understand."

Amy's mom looked her daughter in the eyes and asked, "Are you sure you three will be ok?"

"Of course! We are all responsible. No worries!"

Sarah sighed. "Ok we will both come."

Mrs. Wells gave Amy a hug and said, "Thank you dear. I'm sorry to have spoiled your fun evening. "

"The evening isn't ruined. And I completely understand. "

Amy and her parents hugged and said goodbye. Her mom gave her some last minute reminders of numbers to call, manners to mind, and don't stay up too late!

Then Amy was alone.

Not for long because the next minute a car pulled up in the driveway. Morgan's mom had picked up Melody and they were here now. Amy walked out to meet her friends and was sure to thank Morgan's mom for dropping them off and told her the pick up times as she had seen her mom do before. When Morgan's mom asked where Amy's parents where. Amy calmly explained,

"They went outside to fix something but they will be back in soon. No worries though. "

"Do they need any help? Morgan's mom asked, ready to unbuckel her seat belt?

"Oh no Mrs. Meed they have it all under control. Thanks for offering. I'll let them know you did."

"Well ok. I'll be back on the morning girls. Have fun and try to get some sleep!"

With that she drove off and the girls went inside.

"Ok spill! " demanded Morgan  "that was too polite even for you! Where are your parents really?

Amy rolled her eyes and replied, "Ok fine they are gone for pretty much the whole night unless they get done and come in late. So it wasn't a total lie."  She then went on the explain what happened. 

"Wow! what luck!" Exclaimed Melody.

"Well anyway let's get going on this sleepover before they come back!" Said Morgan.

"Who is hungry? Anyone up for s mores?

With that said they hurried off to the kitchen to begin the fun.