chapter 3

The girls made their way to the kitchen and began to get out the the ingredients for s mores.

Suddenly Melody asked, "Ok so no one laugh but I've never had a smore before, how do you make one"?

Morgan stifled a laugh and replied," Seriously? I thought making s mores was common knowledge!"

Amy gave a half smile and said, "I guess it's not common enough. No problem, we can show you how to make one."

So Amy and Melody worked on building the s mores while Morgan cooked them in the microwave. As they cooked they talked laughed and joked around until Melody suddenly became serious and said, "Did you guys read the paper this morning?"

Morgan laughed. " who reads the paper anymore?"

"Nope I didn't get time. I was so busy getting things ready for tonight. Was there something interesting in it? Asked Amy.

Melody laid down a chocolate bar on a graham cracker, and looked at her friends.

"By popular demand the pumpkin patch has been reopened. This afternoon some volunteers worked on cleaning it up and taking down the fence around it. It should be open to the public in a matter of days "

There was silence for a second then Morgan said, "So what's the big deal? "

"Don't you remember that old legend? That one about the goblin or whatever, it was that grabbed that little girl in that very same pumpkin patch? She was never seen again!"

"Oh yeah! I remember that one. Some also thought it was a prank. That was forever ago and besides it was never proven to be a goblin." Said Amy.

"Well it still gives me the creeps! Just think, no one has stepped foot in there since the search party, like 100s of years ago! How do you explain that hole they found at the edge of the woods?" Retorted Melody.

"Well, " Began Amy. "As I said it was never proved. It could have been an animal. Back then there was a problem with wild animals roaming in the woods."

" I still say that there was something and that something is still in that patch!" Exclaimed Melody.

" Chill out guys! I thought this was supposed to be a sleepover not a debate. These s mores won't make themselves! " Morgan said.

With that the three finished making the s mores and ate their creations. When the s mores were gone, Amy suggested doing some karaoke.

The evening went on and the girls had fun doing karaoke and then playing a board game. They talked and laughed all through the evening but on the back of everyone's mind was the legend of the pumpkin patch.

Suddenly, during an awkward silent moment Morgan laid her cards down and stood up.

"Oh can you bring me a drink please? Thanks!" Asked Melody.

" I'm not going to the kitchen. I'm getting my coat."

Amy looked up from her cards and said, "Are you cold? I can turn up the heat."

Morgan looked at both girls and said, "Come on let's go. It's all we can think about so let's get it over with and see exactly what's in that pumpkin patch. "

Both Amy and Melody let out a sigh as if a huge burden had just been lifted off their shoulders.

"I'm glad the topic is out in the open, but we really shouldn't. " Said Melody.

"If my parents came home and we were not here, they would freak out! There would go all trust and responsibility. "

"Well then everyone needs to quit thinking about it. It's getting really anny-"

Here Morgan was Inturptted by a cell phone rining. Amy jumped up and hurried to the kitchen to answer her phone.

"Hello?"

"Hi mom, how is it going?"

"Yes Melody and Morgan are here. Yes we are having fun."

" Oh are you sure it will take that long? Yes we can totally handle it."

"No problem. Ok I love you and dad too! Bye!"

Amy slowly set the phone down and walked back to the living room. As she sat down on the couch Morgan said, "What! What's wrong! Is everything ok?"

Amy nodded her head and replied, "Yeah mom and dad are good but it's going to take them longer to finish than they thought. The computer system keeps failing and starting up again. They think they won't be finished until well after midnight. "

Melody glanced at the clock. It read 7:01.
"But can't they just stop for tonight and go back tomorrow and do that?"

"They can't. The office is open tomorrow and if the boss finds out this happened he will not be happy!"

Morgan brightened up. "Don't you guys see what just happened? We have five hours to get to that pumpkin patch and get back here before your parents are even considering coming home!"

"Don't you think I've already thought about that? That's why I'm a little freaked out." Replied Amy.

Melody suddenly stood up. "Ok. Morgan is right. I can't believe I'm saying this but, we need to take this opportunity and not waste it. Who's coming with me?"

"Wow way to go Melody! I've never heard you talk like that before! I'm with you!" Exclaimed Morgan.

"Ok fine. The sooner we leave the sooner we get back." Sighed Amy.

Morgan went to get their coats while Amy put away the game and poor Melody stood by the door saying to herself, "what did I just get myself into? "

In a matter of minutes the girls were out the door and making their way to the pumpkin patch.