chapter five

"i mean, he's attractive. i cant deny that." i was looking over to the captain of seijoh. "and his hair looks really fluffy."

he had that type of hair that i just wanted to run my hand through and feel the fluffiness between my fingers.

"that's oikawa tooru, setter and captain of the team." kiyoko said without looking away from the other side of the court where karasuno were.

i discovered something about myself. i always looked more to the other team their my own. hinata would be appalled if he knew about that little fact. i could already hear his gasp and his facial expression.

"hey! watch out!" i turned to the direction of the voice and saw a ball coming my way. my hand lifted up to hit it away, but a muscular arm flew in front of my face and the ball hit his arm.

"watch where you're hitting the ball, you idiot!" the guy yelled to oikawa before turning to me who was standing behind him. "sorry about him, are you okay?"

when he turned around, my eyes widened before answering. "yeah i'm good, thank you for that." i gestured to the ball on the floor and then looked back to him.

i've got to stop staring at these other team players.

"no problem, i'm iwaizumi hajime."

"tsukishima y/n. i go by my first name though."

"cool, i'll see you around sometime." he gave me a heartwarming smile before walking back to his team, hitting oikawa on the back of the head as he went.

when i turned back around, kageyama and hinata were staring at me intensely. "why are you looking at me like that?"

"you talked to the rival!" hinata whisper shouted. "they're evil!" kageyama was nodding along with hinata.

"they're not evil, hinata." my eyebrows furrowed at his choice of words. "they're just playing volleyball like you are." the two first years seemed content to their words that the other team would always be the evil ones.

i kept watching the two teams practice before hearing up to the stands where the rest of the audience were sitting since only one team manager was allowed on the bench.

i liked sitting in the stands instead. you could really see both sides of the court without a net separating your view.

despite not being able to see their facial expression very much, i noticed that oikawa and the rest of seijoh were definitely frustrated at hinata and kageyama when they did their quick attack.

throughout the game, i watched and studied the different players. this game was different from the one with nekoma. this game had more.. tension and was the players were all pushing themselves harder than ever.

there was one time when i was leaning against the railing when kei suddenly glanced up at me. i smiled down at him and gave him a thumbs up. he didn't smile back, but there was the tiniest moment when his lips twitched up, a small smile.

an accomplishment of you ask me. i mean, it's tsukishima kei we're talking about here.

seijoh had won the first set, karasuno won the second, and there was only one left. no matter how tired the two teams were, their moves were never sloppy. they were sharp and concentrated like never before.

then, right in front of them it was like a movie scene being played out.  

oikawa served the ball.

dachi dived for it.

kageyama passed it to asahi.

asahi hit the blocker's fingers.

seijoh's libero dived for it.

oikawa set it.

iwaizumi hit it.

tanaka received it.

some onion head dude hit it.

nishinoya received it.

kageyama ran after it and set it.

oikawa was grinning like a maniac.

daichi jumped up, but the set went to hinata.

hinata hit it, but it was blocked.

asahi, nishinoya, and kageyama dived for it but it hit the floor.

33-31. seijoh won.

half of the karasuno team was on the floor while seijoh was cheering about their win. 

ukai had his head bent down, kiyoko covered her mouth, and takeda was standing up, staring at the team.

top notch commentary.

i hurried down to the team after they were done with everything and stopped right next to my brother.

his face held heavy disinterest, almost like he was bored. i knew that he was disappointed about the loss and one day he'll realize that.

i patted him on the back since he wasn't heavy on physical touch. then i moved to kinoshita and noya, bringing them both into a hug with my arms around their waist. hinata joined in shortly after and even when the other two pulled away, my arm stayed around hinata's shoulders.

we all walked out together and on the way, iwaizumi caught my eye and i waved at him. he smiled and dipped his head down into a nod before leaving with oikawa.

daichi was one the other side of me. "we're going out to eat and you're welcome to join us." he informed.

and that's where we were now.

i was sitting between kei and noya while they all looked to ukai. he said a few words before everyone started to eat.

not that far into eating, i watched as one by one the boys started to let the tears stream down their face. hinata, kageyama, yamaguchi, the rest of the team except kei.

kei and i sat there while everyone around them cried. kei continued eating while i was looking around awkwardly, not sure what to do.

would it be weird if i started to cry? that might be even weirder. but it was also weird just sitting here while everyone else was crying.

today would've been a good day to stay home for dinner instead. judging by the look on kei's face, he thought the same.

~~~
GUYS GUYS
THIS IS WHY I STARTED TO ALWAYS YOU BC I WROTE IWAIZUMI INTO THIS CHAPTER AND PEOPLE WERE TALKING ABT HIM IN THE COMMENTS