chapter twenty three

- y/n pov -

today was the first day of the preliminary games and we were waiting in the corner of the hallway. i was sitting next to kei while his head was resting on top of his arms.

i noticed hinata who looked a little pale. "are you okay?" i asked him and leaned forward to take a closer look at his face.

"yep, i'm fine!" he held onto his stomach. "i puked on the way here and that relieved me a bit." i looked over his shoulder and saw yamaguchi shaking.

"of course you'd feel sick after eating all those pork bowls for breakfast." kei scoffed.

"it normal to eat pork cutlets on game days!" hinata defended himself. kageyama walked over to hinata and i handed him a bottle of water before heading to yamaguchi.

"thinking back on hinata's puke makes me want to puke myself." yamaguchi said which caused both me and kei to spin around.

"hurry and go to the bathroom!" we told him.

"me too.. especially with all the anxiety." asahi said and i turned to look at him, reading to offer any comfort, but suga was already there.

"everyone's panicking." i was starting to get more nervous just from everyone else's nerves. "where's maria?" i looked up at kei.

"she's coming later." he answered and started cleaning his glasses. "she stayed up too late and ended up sleeping through the five alarms i set for her."

"sounds like me." i looked over and saw daichi walking towards us.

"guys let's go. where's hinata?" he asked.

"went to the bathroom." daichi led us over to the rest of the rest to get ready. i helped the team warm up until the other team was ready.

yachi and i moved since they only allowed one manager to sit with the managers. we stood next to a older man with a few kids standing around him.

i found myself looking back at the man, recognizing his face. then it hit me. he was akiteru's old volleyball coach. "you guys are from karasuno right?" one of the kids asked. "why are you up here?"

"only one manager can be on the bench." yachi exclaimed and i smiled down at the kid who reminded me of oikawa from seijoh. like a mini oikawa.

yachi and i watched the game while talking to the kids and explaining to them a few things that was happening. maria came to us about halfway through the game and apologized for being so late.

they won in the end.

the three of us started cheering and headed back down to meet up with them. i ruffled hinata and yamaguchi's hair while slapping my brother on the back.

he rolled his eyes at my slap before going over to maria and pressing a soft kiss to her forehead, telling her something that was probably teasing about her sleeping through her alarms.

i turned my head away from them to look over to kiyoko who was looking over at tanaka who was eating a banana.

"kiyokooo." i started to tease and she turned her attention over to me.

"y/n."

"do you like tanaka?" i rushed out in a whisper. she opened her mouth to answer, but shut it when tanaka turned his head to look at her. "i'm taking that as a yes."

the next game, there was this guy who was taller than lev. the guy walked past us and he towered over us three girls who were walking back up to the stands.