Curfew - Ch. 57

"We knew he wouldn't do anything about it. His pride would stop him, or so we thought. Turned out it didn't after that night in the library"

"6th year, Granger. Don't even bother denying it, I saw it with my own two eyes"

"He almost kissed you"

"The only thing that stopped you two was Filch"

"Tell me Granger, why were you two there alone? And what would've happened if Filch hadn't stopped you?"

"After curfew though?"

"Mhm"

———

April 1997

What was Dumbledore on about? Hermione hated how the old man only spoke in clues, why couldn't he just say it directly?

She'd been in the restricted section for at least 6 hours now, under Harry's invisibility cloak. He didn't know she had taken it, he was at Quidditch practice with Ron and Ginny. He must've realized by now, it was past 11.

She should've left hours ago but she was determined to find something- anything. She'd gone through hundreds of books about dark magic, some more questionable then others. She had even gotten a bit off task to find out who the half-blood Prince was.

Draco Malfoy was still in the hospital wing, having been hit by the half-blood prince's curse barely 5 days ago. By what Harry had said, the curse was meant to kill. The Prince was evil- deadly even.

The book was gone now but the damage was done. She checked her watch, 1:30. When had 2 hours passed? She got up quickly, dropping the cloak as she put away the books she'd pulled out. She walked through the library, putting away 2 stacks at a time.

She was returning to her original spot when she heard footsteps. She froze, who was out this late?

"Bloody Potter, bloody task, bloody dark lord"

She knew that voice, yes she knew that voice well. She rushed to where the cloak was and heard the footsteps stop. She hid behind a bookshelf, the cloak only 3 rows away.

"Who's here?" Bloody idiot, if someone was hiding, why would they reveal themselves?

She slowly tiptoed across the shelf, making her way quietly to the shelf. She didn't hear anything and peaked around the shelf. He wasn't there. She heard the door open then close, and assumed he left.

She turned to go back to her things and yelped, finding him in front of her. He glared at her, his hands on either side of her head, against the bookshelf behind.

"Are you stalking me, Mudblood?" Draco Malfoy spat.

"I've been here for hours"She snapped, "What would I get out of stalking you? Finding out how bitchy you are? Believe me, I've known for years-"

"Watch your fucking mouth-"

"Get away from me"

She shoved him away as hard as she could. He winced, stumbling back, her hands pushing against his unclosed wounds. He glared at her, but her eyes weren't on his face. They were on his chest, and her eyes were wide, her mouth falling open. He glanced down, blood seeping through his white button-up shirt.