Thirty

Bazzra was able to heal my face. Only a small white line is visible. I haven't seen Massif in days, but Kylo reluctantly admitted to me that she's alive.

    I've watched Ushar beat Poe day after day, but he only spits at the Knight, which only infuriates him more.

    My job is to make sure he doesn't kill the pilot.

    I've spent time with Bazzra and Marinda over the past few days as well, finding them to be unlikely companions.

    "Ushar, he's turning blue." I say, snapping back to reality. The Knight grunts, pulling back. Poe coughs violently, colour returning to his face. "Ren doesn't want him dead yet."

    "You should just kill me. I'm not telling you anything."

    "No?" I ask, pushing off the wall. "You're giving plenty away." I angle my head.

    "Yeah? And what's that?"

    "Well," I step closer, and Ushar backs away, letting me try. "By the way you hold your head up, I can tell that you used to be a pilot for the New Republic." I bite my cheek. "Those X-Wings are built to be uniform, yeah? Seats are pretty uncomfortable?" He blinks.

    "You could have just looked that up in the file you've already accumulated on me." He jerks his chin up, but straightens uneasily. "You have nothing."

    "No?" I fight the urge to fidget with my gloves, keeping my arms behind my back. "I know you feel guilty. How many members of the Resistance have you had killed?" I raise a brow, knowing he can't see my face. He looks away.

    "I'm not guilty." He insists. "I did what I had to do."

    "No, you didn't." I step back, nodding to Ushar. "Continue." The Knight obliges, strapping a hard metal glove to his hand. At that moment, the door slides open, and I turn, putting a hand to my belt, where a long knife rests in a sheath.

    A gift from Ren, who stands in the doorway, arms crossed as he leans against the frame. He curls a finger in my direction.

    "Come with me." I nod, shooting a glance back at Ushar.

    "Don't kill him."

    "Yeah, Ushar." Ren calls, humour in his voice. "Don't kill him." He finishes as the door closes. After a moment, he places his hand on my lower back, underneath my cloak so it's hidden as he leads me through the stormtrooper filled halls.

    What's this? I ask in my mind, chills snaking across my skin from where his gloved hand presses against me.

    "We received a transmission from the Resistance." He answers. "They want Dameron and the traitor back."

    What are they offering? I reply, stomach churning with jealousy.

    "The General wants to meet in person. On a neutral world."

    Why are they more important than me? My throat is tight. I couldn't speak out loud even if I wanted to.

    "They're not." His words are firm, and his hand slides from my back to curl around my waist, only for a moment before withdrawing completely. "But the General is blinded by her affection for them."

    "Supreme Leader." General Hux appears in front of us, shooting me a disdainful glance.  If only he knew that it's me underneath this mask. I think to myself. Kylo looks down for a moment, a short smile gracing his lips. My heart pounds, as it does every time he smiles at me. An expression so rare to others, but one he offers to me often. "The Resistance has contacted us again, demanding to speak with you."

    "They can wait." His voice is stern, and he moves to walk past Hux, but the General boldly steps in front of the Supreme Leader. Kylo angles his head, eyes narrowing as his lips part slightly in surprise. "Get out of my way." He growls. I reach for my knife, and the man who healed me so long ago tenses as he sees my hand resting on the hilt.

    "Ren-"

    "Get him out of my face." He orders. I step forward, pushing the General away from Ren, throwing him to the ground. He grunts, attempting to scramble to his feet. Instead, I kick him in the side, keeping my foot on his chest until Ren passes, gesturing for me to follow. "Good."

    He's getting bold. I think. I know what you mean now, about his intentions.

    "Good. Keep an eye on him."

    As Hunter or the Zilla? I ask, leaving him silent for a long while.

    "As Hunter." I blink.

    You're sure?

    He nods, apparently not deeming my question worthy of a response in my mind. I wonder if it tires him to constantly be communicating with me silently.

    "Kylo-" I hesitate. "Why don't you want to meet with the General?" My voice gets smaller with every word as we approach the throne room. "Couldn't you get there and kill her?"

    "I tried once before." He says solemnly. "It didn't work."

    "Then try again." I turn, grabbing his hands as we enter the empty room, door sliding shut behind us. He sucks in a breath, gaze focused on my fingers gripping his. I tear away, raising my palms as I step back, face heating. "I- I'm sorry."

    He doesn't move, staring at his hands. They're still cupped, as if I'm holding them. He swallows, looking up.

    "No, I don't think I can." He turns abruptly, striding to his throne. I let out a frustrated breath, deactivating my mask.

    "Kylo, I'm sorry. I didn't mean t-" He turns, holding up a hand.

    "No, it's okay." He nods, as if convincing himself. "Yeah, I'll go." He rubs his face, running his fingers through his hair. "We will go."

    "Okay." I echo his nod. "So you'll talk to them?" He hesitates, but lets out a long sigh.

    "Yeah."

    "Yeah?" I repeat, raising a brow.

    "Yes." He presses his lips together, settling into his throne. "But not now." He clears his throat. "I can't- I can't face her yet."

    "Okay." I approach him, perching myself on the arm of his throne. "In the morning?" He hesitates.

    "I want you there." He says quietly. "Just you and me in the room." He reaches for my hand, squeezing my fingers as I nod.

    And as he turns away, I could swear that his face is painted a strange shade of pink.