Seven

It's cold. 

I try to swallow, but it's difficult. My eyes don't seem to want to open, which is fine. 

Is this death?

I lay in the cold darkness contently, unable to move.

Am I in Hell?

There's something familiar about this place, but I can't place my finger on it. 

I can't place my fingers at all, in fact. 

I thought Hell would have been warmer

I hear a soft sound to my right, and a gentle pressure on my arm. 

If I could move, I might smile. 

The pressure comes from two fingers, calloused with years of battle. I know that these hands have scars littered across the skin. 

Kylo.

I'd know his touch anywhere. 

He must be awake. 

That, or he's dead too. That's less preferable. 

Maybe we're in Hell together

I hear the soft sound again, and realize that it's a laugh. 

His laugh. Well, it's always been more of a chuckle. Either way, I imagine grabbing the sound and holding it tight to my chest. I imagine him saying my name as well, keeping that close too. 

"Hunter, you're not dead." 

His voice holds a slight bit of humour, laced with faint traces of tensity. 

Neither are you. I imagine myself saying. He chuckles again, and he rests his hand on my cheek. 

"Of course I'm not." I picture him smiling. When he smiles, really smiles, his entire face breaks with the expression. It's one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. "I couldn't leave you here all alone." I feel him lift my hand, pressing his lips to my knuckles. "So please, don't leave me." His voice breaks, and something snaps in my chest. 

I'll try not to.

"Good." He kisses the inside of my wrist. "Our story isn't done yet, Hunter." 

"Ren?" I hear another voice, slightly further away. 

Bazzra. 

"Yes?" Kylo's voice changes, and he tenses. 

"Is she awake?" 

"She's at the surface of consciousness." He places my hand down, pressing a kiss to my cheek. "I think she'll be okay." 

"That's good." Bazzra breathes. "I- I want to ask for forgiveness again." She pauses. "From both of you. I failed in keeping her safe." 

It wasn't your job. I want to say. Tell her that it wasn't her job, Kylo. It's not her fault

"Is Massif awake yet?" He asks, changing the direction of the conversation. 

I want to smack him. 

Don't you dare blame her, Kylo

"No, Sir." Bazzra replies softly. "Her injuries are," She hesitates. "Extensive." 

"I want to know when she's awake the moment her eyelids flutter." He snaps. "Do you understand me, Bazzra?" 

"Yes, Sir." She whispers. I hear the door slide open and shut again before Kylo takes my hand again, smoothing my hair.

Kylo, it's not her fault. 

"She didn't protect you." He says tensely. 

She tried

"Not hard enough." His voice breaks, and my heart crumples under the sound. 

You can't blame her. I try to swallow, but end up coughing. 

"Hunter?" Kylo's voice seems torn between the fear that I'm actually dying, and joy that I'm able to move and make sounds.

"Yeah?" I find my voice, which cracks hoarsely, seemingly on jagged rocks. I frown, cracking my eyes open against the glaring light of our room on the Finalizer. Kylo sucks in a breath, letting go of me for a moment. I use that time to sit up, rubbing my throat. I turn, offering him a weak smile. "Hey, look. I'm not dead."

"Muna!" He lunges, wrapping his arms around me tightly. "Chuba Aillya!" I laugh, the sound ripping from my lungs dryly as he climbs into the bed with me.

"I don't speak huttese." I say hoarsely. 

"I know that, Sweetheart." He rests his chin on top of my head. "I know." 

"Wh-" I cough, tears rising to my eyes at the sharp pain that shudders through my throat. "What did you do to Massif?"

"Not enough." He growls. I feel the sound rumble through my body. 

"Kylo-" 

"I lost you, Hunter." He says weakly, pulling me closer against him. "You were dead. Bazzra nearly died herself trying to get you ba-" 

"Do you love Massif, Kylo?" I interrupt, turning to look up at him. He blinks, opening his mouth. Then he closes it, frowning for a moment.

"No." He shakes his head. "I used to think that I did." He takes my hand, his large fingers tracing the lines of my palm as he avoids my gaze. "But the way that I cared for Massif wasn't fair to her. She was looking for love, and I was looking for something more..." His fingers pause in the centre of my palm, and his eyes snap to mine. "Physical." He drops his gaze back to where he continues to trace circles on my skin. "We wanted different things." 

"And-" I swallow, the action painful, but less painful than the question burning on my tongue. "And what do you want?" I pull my hand back. "Kylo, look at me." I take his chin in my fingers, pulling his gaze to mine. "What am I to you?" He hesitates, and I feel my heart shudder. "Am I just hot coals in your bed?" 

"Hunter, I-" He looks down, voice faltering. I lean away, tears pulling at my eyes. 

"I'm tired." I whisper, wiping my eyes with the heel of my hand. "If you need to sleep now, I can go to Bazzra's room."

"Hunter, no-" He rests his hand on my arm, but I pull away. "We're not doing this." He tells me. 

"I'm tired." I repeat. 

"Hunter, please." He begs, voice weak. I say nothing, moving to the edge of the bed, grabbing my pillow. "Wait." He stands. "Don't- don't move. I'll go." I nod, fixing my gaze on one of the black tiles covering the floor. He pauses by the door, and I wipe my eyes again. resting my elbows on my knees. "We'll talk about this tomorrow." He promises, opening the door and stepping through. I shake my head, closing my eyes as the door slides shut. 

"Yeah, let's plan for that." I whisper, laying back down and covering my face with the pillow as sobs rip from my sore throat.