Thirty Three

"Kylo you have to go." I push, following him helplessly as he paces around his large room. "We meet tomorrow. You can't back out now."

    "It's a trap." He mutters, running a hand through his hair. "It has to be."

    "Stop overthinking this!" I scold.

    "No, she would never come with me willingly." He says to himself, ignoring me. I huff, stopping in the middle of his path, crossing my arms.

    "Kylo." He steps around me and I roll my eyes.

    "But for her friends?" He spits out the last word, shaking his head.

    "Kylo." I repeat. He turns on his heel, walking past me again.

    "She would do anything for them. She's done it before."

    "Kylo." I grab his arm, and he pauses, turning wide eyes towards me. "It's going to be okay."

    "No, it doesn't feel right." He continues pacing, and I groan.

    "Will you please calm down for just a second?" I plead, trailing after him again.

    "We need to think through every possible scenario, Hunter." He mumbles.

    "That's enough!" I push his chest hard. He's distracted, so I manage to push him a few steps back until he stumbles onto the couch in the centre of his room. "You need to sit down and collect yourself." I kneel in front of him, grabbing his hand. "You can follow through with this, Kylo." I promise. "You're going to follow through with this."

    "I can't face her." His voice wavers, and I bite my cheek. "I've done too much."

    "If this is about redemption-"

    "I don't want to be redeemed." He snaps, standing. I topple backwards, blinking at the shift in his attitude.

    "Kylo-" I stand, putting my arms out in front of me. He reaches forward, grabbing my wrists and pulling me close enough that he can bend down to put his face inches from mine. My breath catches in my throat, and I can only hide a small yelp.

    "Do you want to know what your problem is, Hunter?" He hisses, teeth gritted. I swallow thickly.

    "S-sure." I say quietly, afraid of what he'll say. What he'll do.

    "You're pretty." He grits out. "So nobody's ever told you to shut up." My face heats, and he looks away, a scarlet stripe painting his cheeks as well. "I mean-"

    "Okay." I pull my hands away, stepping back. My heart beats impossibly fast, and my mouth is suddenly drier than Tatooine. "Yeah, I can do quiet. I'm good at quiet." My voice is hoarse, and I sidestep until I reach the door. He doesn't move, mouth slightly ajar.

    I don't think he meant to say that.

    "Hunter-"

    "Nope, nope." I open the door, activating my mask with a stiff salute. "I can do quiet." I lift my hands, door closing in front of my face. I hurry past the three doors separating our rooms, immediately throwing myself onto the bed with a grin. The mask folds off of my face and I cover my mouth, kicking my feet as I muffle a short squeal.

    You're pretty.

    Shut up.

    I don't know if I should be offended or upset, but my heart pounds feverishly and I can't get rid of the tightness in my chest.

He thinks I'm pretty.

After a few minutes of laying on my back, I frown, wondering if I should be concerned about the quick and sudden change in his attitude. Does it put me in danger? I think at this point I trust him enough not to hurt me over a few words I spared while attempting to console him.

    Then, the door hisses open and I sit up, eyes wide.

    "Hunter."

    I stand, opening my mouth slightly in shock.

    "General Hux?" I brush loose strands of hair away from my face hurriedly, swallowing thickly as I remember Kylo's order.

    Keep an eye on him.

    "Hunter, there's something I need to tell you." He steps over to me, and I sit back down on the bed nervously.

    "You shouldn't be here." I feign worry, and he shrugs.

    "I'll take the repercussions." He promises, grabbing my hand. "You need to know that Kylo Ren is exchanging two high-ranking Resistance prisoners tomorrow. I can get you on that ship, but you have to trust me."

    "Why would I want to go back to the Resistance?" I pull away, looking at the ground. "They sent someone to kill me. You were there."

    "I've been in contact with them." He whispers. My jaw drops, and he sits on the bed next to me. "I- I'm the spy."

    "Why are you telling me this?" I whisper. "I could be on Ren's side."

    I am on Ren's side.

    "I don't know." He hesitates. "You're different."

    I resist the urge to scoff and roll my eyes.

    "I don't want to leave." I shift. "I'm afraid of what they'll do to me."

    "I can't guarantee what will happen once you get there-"

"I don't want to go. At least I'm safe here." I insist.

"For how long, though, Hunter?" He snaps. I pretend to flinch, and he lets a breath out of his nose. "I'm sorry."

    "I can't go back, General." I turn away. "But you can trust me with your secret."

    No you can't.

    "I see." He hesitates. "Thank you Hunter."

    I nod, and he stands.

    "I'll let you know if I change my mind."