𝐚𝐮𝐠𝐮𝐬𝐭

After a shower, and an outfit change, Aurélie sat on her bed with Conrad's gift, and the flowers on her bedside table. She played with the card he wrote before deciding to read it.

Ellie,

Happy birthday. I can't believe you're 18. It feels like time's run away from us, just a minute ago we were seven learning how to surf. You're grown up faster than the rest of us, it seems, and you're so damn mature now. It's crazy. I've been trying to figure out what so different about you now, and why you make me feel different. It wasn't because you grew up, it was because I've seen you for the first time in 10 years. I really saw you, all of you. You always make sure to tell me how great I am, but I'm not the great one. You are. Happy birthday, Ellie.

Love,

Your Connie

Wow. Did Conrad just admit his feelings? Aurélie wasn't sure what to think. But she knew one thing, she felt it too.

...

Susannah decided to have the party at the neighbors, since the Beaufort's house fit more people, and Sabine offered.

There was a knock on her door, and André came in, holding a flower crown. "It's time to party, Elle!" He placed the crown on her head, and she smiled. "How's 18 feel? Different?" He backed up.

"I feel seen, if that makes sense."

"It's our birthday girl," Mason smiled, waiting at the bottom of the stairs. "Hi, Mase," Aurélie grinned, taking his arm. He led her to sit down between him and Conrad. What a mistake.

"Why don't you eat meat, Cam Cameron?" Jeremiah asked after Laurel brought it up. "Uh, the meat industry is like the number one contributor to global warming. And I, uh, like animals," Cam responded.

If you thought the topic would end there, you're wrong. Jeremiah kept talking. "What about you, Mason? Are you a meat eater?" The brunette laughed, looking at Aurélie. "Yeah, I like my meat."

Steven and André snickered, Delphine sending them daggers. "You know, Aurélie prefers salad to a burger. You gonna keep dating her now?" Jeremiah smirks.

Aurélie glared at him. Steven and Conrad already showed up, ruining her date. She didn't need Jeremiah messing things up either.

"I'm not one to judge. She likes to stay healthy. I could try it too," Mason smiled at her, causing a blush to spread across her cheeks.

Steven, André, and Jeremiah pretended to gag, and Belly slapped her brother's shoulder. At least Conrad was sitting there like a normal person and behaving.

"Are you guys ready to go to Nicole's party? She's planned something special apparently," Aurélie smiled, placing her napkin on the table. "Yeah, let's get ready now," the girls all stood up. "Thanks for dinner!" Aurélie kissed her mother's and Susannah's cheeks on the way out.

...

Aurélie touched up her makeup, adding a little bit of blush and some highlight. "Ow!" Belly accidentally poked herself with the mascara.

"It's supposed to go on your eyelashes dummy, not in your eye," Aurélie giggled. "Uh, yeah. That's what I'm trying to do!" Belly whined.

"Just let me do it," Taylor took the mascara from her, "Tonight is going to be so fun." "Yeah, I just hope it's not a disaster like my last party," Aurélie groaned, thinking about the party the Fisher boys had two summers ago.

"Gosh, that was one hell of a party," Taylor laughed. "Yeah, and it was my first time getting drunk!" Aurélie laughed. "People noticed you, publicity's publicity!" Delphine chimed.