𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 3 : 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐏𝐎𝐋𝐋𝐘𝐖𝐎𝐆

"somewhere in these eyes, i'm on your side

"somewhere in these eyes, i'm on your side."

─────────

One thing that Nine would always remember is when she and Eleven revealed themselves to Hopper after he left food for them.

He was walking to the small box in the middle of the woods as Eleven and Nine watched from afar. They followed him back to his car, startling him when they stepped on a tree branch. He turned around and saw the girls who had been hiding almost all winter.

"Rise and shine," Hopper said, standing in the doorway of Eleven and Nine's room. They ignored him, turning their backs on him.

"So, that's it, huh? You're still not talking? All right," Nine had thought he had given up, but that was far from the case. "I guess I'm just gonna have to, uh... enjoy this triple-decker Eggo extravaganza on my own."

Nine hadn't really cared for Eggos, but she knew El loved them, so she had guessed her eyes had probably bugged out of her head. Eleven had been the first to get out of bed, practically pulling Nine along with her.

They sat down at the table as Hopper started cutting pieces for all of them to share.

"Mmm!" He exclaimed as he ate some whipped cream. "Mmm! Good, right? You know the great thing about it? It's only 8,000 calories."

Eleven and Nine looked at him with no amusement, still mad at him from last night.

"You visited him again last night?" Hopper asked Eleven.

"He says he needs me."

"Want me to go check on him? Same with Lucas?" He asked as they shook their heads. "I know that you miss him, all right? But it's too dangerous. You're the last thing he needs right now. You're gonna see them. All of them. Soon. And not just in that head of yours. You're gonna see them in real life. I feel like I'm making progress with these people."

"Friends don't lie," El said softly.
"What?"

"You say 'soon' on day 21," Nine started, "You say 'soon' on day 205. You now say 'soon' on day 326?"

"What is this? You guys are counting the days now like some kind of prisoners?"

"When is 'soon'?" Eleven pushed.

"'Soon' is when... it's not dangerous anymore."
"When?"

"I don't know."