+ six +

"So that's what happened?" Heeseung asked apologetically. Telling him my worries was a new thing for me since we both weren't that close, to begin with. He slowly approached me and embraced me, "There, there."

"Hey, I'm fine. It was three years ago."

"But I can't imagine myself watching my best friend and my crush being sweet in front of me. It must hurt a lot."

I pulled away and saw him flashing an assuring smile at me. I lowered my gaze and closed my eyes, recalling all the painful memories I experienced three years ago.

"You know what?" He spoke up, breaking the silence. "I actually have something to confess."

His words made me look at him dumbfounded. He took a deep breath before blurting out, "I have liked Ahrin for two years."

My eyes widened, "I knew it! My thoughts were true!" He frowned, "Wait, how? I didn't even tell anyone–"

"You were so obvious. Seriously? Giving her snacks every day. And then, walking her home to make sure she gets there safely. That's what a man in love would do."

"Yeah, it's too obvious. But what can I do? You don't have any idea how beautiful she looks every day. Day by day, I look forward to seeing her at school. And when I do, my heart just creates this quick rhythm."

I watched as he described my best friend. A smile crept up on my face as I listened to him. Oh, how I wish someone would describe me like that. "She's lucky to have someone describe her like that."

My words made him chuckle. He thought for a while and held my hand when an idea crossed his mind. "How about we both help each other out?"

"What do you mean?"

"Think of this as a great deal, Hana. I'll help you win Jay's heart and you'll help me win Ahrin's," Heeseung said before flashing a smug smile. I sighed and released my hand from his grip, "I don't know. It won't work."

"Trust me. You know Ahrin so well. And I know Jay so well. In the future, we all would go on a double date. Trust me."

I scoffed at his idea and looked around the hallway. I looked at him again and realised he was serious about it. "Oh, you're not joking?"

"Winning Ahrin's heart? No!"

"Fine," I gave in and shook his hand.

💌

It was biology class and the teacher was planning to make us all perform surgery on frogs. I wore my gloves and tried to calm myself down. I never liked seeing animal blood. And I was against animal harm but I needed to keep myself composed in order not to fail the class.

I glanced at Ahrin and Jay who were already playing with the frog that we were going to cut open. They both giggled and stopped when the teacher called all of the students so that they would pay attention to her. I couldn't help but stare at the frog with disgust and pity. The frog looked helpless with its hands and legs pinned to a box.

Heeseung looked at me and mouthed, "Are you okay?" I gulped down my saliva nervously and nodded. He still looked at me with his concerned eyes.

"You may start the experiment," the teacher said. Most of the students were excited as they picked up a blade. I stood at the corner of the desk and watched as Jay cut the frog open. Ahrin blankly touched the frog and carefully cut the skin. Heeseung stood next to her and watched attentively.

The smell made me sick. I closed my eyes and faced away, feeling my eyes tear. "Hana-yah, do you want to see the heart pumping?" Ahrin asked. "No, thank you," I said and gagged due to the smell. I averted my attention to Jay who was having fun with Heeseung as they played with the frog.

I could feel he was avoiding me as usual. And I couldn't understand why he was doing that. One day, he would be all caring and kind and then the next day, he would be cold and ignore me.

I stormed out of the biology lab as soon as the school bell rang, signalling that it was a recess break. I sat at my usual seat and couldn't even bring myself to buy some food. The strong smell of the frog made all the food look disgusting to eat.

I exhaled and closed my eyes, running my fingers through my hair because of the frustration that built up inside me. Suddenly, a hand placed a bottle of iced lemon tea on the table. I opened my eyes and saw Jay taking a seat next to me.

"Here," he said as he opened his can of soda and drank it. I blushed at how close he was next to me. I could feel his warmth next to me and his perfume smell made the frog smell go away. "I'm sorry if I didn't cooperate during the experiment just now," I apologised.

"It's fine. Some people can't stand animal blood. I understand."

I chuckled and held the iced lemon tea, "Thank you by the way for the other day. If you didn't lend me your umbrella, I would've been sick walking in the rain."

"It's nothing," he smiled softly and looked at his friends who were already calling him to play basketball. "I have to go," he said and scurried to his friends.

Ahrin slammed her plate of food on the table and sat across from me. "Does this mean that was progress?" She excitedly asked. "Maybe he was just being kind," I shrugged the thoughts away.

He was nice to everybody. Him helping me and assuring me everything was fine does not mean he liked me.