+ nine +

I was excited since chemistry class was right after recess. I hummed a happy melody under my breath as I made my way to class. There was a competition coming up and I had worked hard to participate in it. I wanted to ask the teacher whether it was still open for people to participate. I entered the classroom and saw the teacher laughing and talking with Jihu and Ahrin.

I cleared my throat and approached them, "Teacher, I wanted to talk to you about the upcoming competition."

"Oh, Hana!" She scurried towards me, "I was just about to talk to you about that. I know how you've been working hard to participate in it and you kept mentioning it to me. I wanted to let you participate in it but I think Jihu is the best choice."

My heart dropped as I glanced at the new girl. The teacher patted my shoulder, "Maybe next year, Hana."

I forced out a smile and made my way to Jihu, "Jihu-yah, can I be your partner for the competition?"

"Sorry but I already invited Ahrin to be my partner. I'm so sorry, Hana. I didn't know the competition meant so much to you."

My smile soon disappeared from my lips. I turned away and went to my seat, glaring at her with eyes of resentment. I folded my arms and felt my heart fuming with anger. I worked for years to participate in it. And Jihu could just take it away from me. She already had the attention of the whole school. And I felt like she was taking Ahrin, my best friend, away from me.

The teacher told us to open our books and started talking about dangerous chemical substances. I stared at the board but my mind was away. I was imagining all sorts of chemical substances that I could attack Jihu with.

"We're already at page 152," Jay muttered next to me. I flinched and glanced at my book, realising I was still on page 148. "Thanks," I said as I kept my focus on what the teacher was saying.

Am I a bad person? I knew Jihu was a nice person. And it was normal to search for friends when you are a new kid at school. But I felt like she was taking everything that was mine away from me on purpose.

"Hana, focus. What did I say just now?" The teacher brought me back to reality. I jumped in surprise and stuttered nervously, trying hard not to embarrass myself but of course, I failed.

"About dangerous chemical substances?"

"No, I was sharing exam topics that might come out."

Shit! I didn't get to mark the topics!

The teacher let out a heavy sigh before continuing to talk about questions that might come out. I frowned and cursed at myself for zoning out during an important time. Suddenly, Jay moved his book closer to me, "I've marked all the topics. You can refer to it."

My heart fluttered as he tried to avoid my gaze. My smile curved into an even wider smile as I examined all the topics that he marked. Maybe sitting next to him wasn't so bad after all.

💌

I slammed the entrance door open before entering my house. I dropped my backpack and plopped myself on the couch in the living room. My mother, who was busy doing her work in the dining area, turned off her laptop and approached me.

"What happened?"

"You know there's an upcoming science competition that I've always wanted to participate in, right? The teacher promised me that I would be in it and then, she just gave it to Jihu! And Jihu asked Ahrin to join her. Mom, I worked hard to participate in it and that new girl could just take it away from me!"

I ranted as I felt my eyes forming tears. My mother scoffed, "What the hell is wrong with the new girl? Why do I feel like she's just doing all this on purpose? Does she know who your mother is, Hana? I am the one who donated the most money to the school. Your father bought most of the facilities for the school. And your teachers promised to give you the best opportunities but now they seem like they can't keep their promises."

"The only thing Jihu has donated to the school was her voice, I guess. And she couldn't even get the top three places in a singing competition," I chuckled before storming upstairs to my bedroom. I locked the door and jumped to my bed, burying my face into the mattress.

The only thing I can do is get good grades and beat her.