THE CAPTAIN & THE PIRATE

"Greetings, Captain John Yager. It's so nice to finally meet you."

Moments earlier, The Reliant had been attacked by a ship after it had decloaked and took them by surprise. The ship managed to knock out their weapons before they had a chance to react. Next thing John knew one armed man had transported onto the bridge of The Reliant and had abducted him at gunpoint. Now he found himself on the bridge of the other ship and found himself staring at a woman with flaming red hair and pointed ears who looked similar to Tamala except that her features were more humanoid than amphibian.

John immediately recognized her as being a Talerian. Talerians were said to be the distant cousins of the Alterians. Legend had it they once lived on the Alterian homeworld of Alteria eons ago but they were exiled because they were too unruly and savage. That's why they developed more human-looking features and characteristics such as lighter skin and more human-like eyes than their Alterian cousins since they didn't live in close proximity to the water as the Alterians did.

But first things first. John had to figure out why this woman's ship had attacked his ship. And why she had him abducted.

"And you are?" he asked the strange woman.

"Oh, where are my manners. I'm Bolaria. I'm the Captain of this vessel."

"You mean a pirate vessel, don't you?"

"I take it this isn't your first time encountering a pirate vessel, as you call it."

"Oh, I've dealt with a few pirates in my time, though they've all been male."

"Do you have a problem with a female pirate, Captain?"

John shook his head. "Not at all. It's been my experience assholes know no gender."

"Oh, there's that legendary wit of yours I've heard so much about, Captain."

"Glad I could amuse you. But now would you mind telling me why you attacked my ship and why you've kidnapped me?"

"All in good time, Captain." She looked at the man who had brought him onboard. "Did he have anything on him?"

"Yes, Captain." He handed her what he took off John. "He had these."

"Let's see," she said, taking the items from him. "Ah yes. A laser pistol. A transporter band. And a communicator. All standard issue for an Alliance officer."

"So what now?" John asked her.

"Now I want you to take your communicator and contract your ship and tell them to back off."

"Why don't you contact them with your viewscreen and tell them yourself?"

"Because, my dear Captain, I don't want you giving them some signal for them to try something foolish like trying to mount a rescue."

"And if I don't contact my ship?"

She offered him a cold smile. "Then I shall blow your ship out of the sky." She handed him his communicator. "Captain, if you please."

John eyed his communicator she was holding out to him for a moment. Then, believing it would be better to go along with what she said at least for now, he reached over and took it. He flipped the communicator open and said, "Commander Steiner, this is Captain Yager."

"Captain," Lisa said to him on her communicator, "are you all right?"

"I'm fine, Commander." He stared right at Bolaria as he spoke and she at him. "Lisa, I want you to take The Reliant to the nearest Alliance base and apprise them of the situation."

"We're not going to leave you, Captain."

"That's an order, Commander."

She paused before answering, "Aye, aye, sir."